To Those Of You Burning Our American Flag

You're uneducated and hurtful reaction offends the rest of us.

19
Mirror.com

I am not a fairly political person, nor do I like posting my political stance on any form of media. I feel that it is a private matter, and something to be discussed in academic or educated situations, not over Facebook statuses where bickering only leads to hatred.

This post is not over politics. I do not care if your candidate lost or won, in the context of this article. Obviously I care, obviously I have an opinion and feel a certain way toward this election outcome--but I want to be unbiased here.

I want to say, first, that I understand. I understand why you're upset and why you're protesting and why you're so hurt. I sympathize with you and cry with you and am scared for you. I want America to be accepting and safe and welcoming. I don't want a single person in the world hurt, or terrified, or bullied because of who they are.

I also understand the people looking for change in something other than corruption. I understand people who want to see something new in politics. I stand by you rooting for a better economy and a more honest government. I want a better system, and I want a president who isn't being looked at by the FBI. I am with you, too.

I see where all sides are coming from, and I think most intelligent people do. I want the best for our country, and I think that's what we all want which is why people get so heated over this--because everyone thinks they know best. But, the reason we are upset is because we love America.

SO WHY ARE WE BURNING OUR FLAG. To the people burning our American flag, how dare you.

No, seriously. How dare you. You are upset with the outcome of an election because you dislike a man who is disrespectful towards groups of people. So in turn, you go ahead and disrespect all of the United States by burning or stomping on our flag.

I get the protests, I get the rallies. I'm not a protestor, I feel that I handle things differently, but if you are I say you do you. Go ahead, it's totally your right to peacefully protest and try to make a change or difference in the world. I see where you're coming from, and if you think you're doing something for the betterment of America or humanity, then good for you--I salute you.

However, by jumping on cars, damaging property, screaming and judging other people, (like saying all Republicans are racist, homophobic, sexist, etc.) and burning our flag you are being way worse than Trump. Let me put this into perspective.

If you get in a fight with your sibling when you were younger, and your parents take their side, you can do a couple things: you can accept it, move past it, and live your life the best you can because their is probably nothing more you can do about it, you can go talk to your parents about why you feel you were right, and try to make them understand where you were coming from, or you can scream and pout like a baby.

Guess which one you're doing as a flag-burner? You are doing absolutely nothing except acting like a stubborn, bratty three year old that wants to scream and pout about not getting their way. Burning the flag does absolutely nothing in your favor. Burning the flag will not change the fact that Trump won. Burning the flag will not spread awareness and will not keep Muslims women from being treated cruelly, or keep Black citizens from being safe, or keeping women from being raped. This does not do anything except degrade and insult people fighting for our country, people who lost everyone they loved to move here for a better life, or for people who would literally die for this country.

People might read this and say, "Oh, she's just a privileged college girl who doesn't know what she's talking about," but I really hope that's not the case. This is me asking--begging, actually--to be better. You're better than this, I know it, so take a moment and re-evaluate yourself.

This will not help, it will not change anything, and is one of the most disrespectful things you can do as an American, especially at this time. We need to unite, to show our country, and the rest of the world, that we love each other. That we are not a racist, sexist, homophobic, and whatever else country that people think we are. We are accepting, we are loving, we are caring. The majority of this country cares about people, the majority wants what's best for everyone, and the majority is willing to do what it takes to get there.

So, have an opinion and have a voice but do not drop to this level. America needs you and your support and your passion, we don't need you to turn your back now and if you can't turn around and try for a united country then you're part of the problem, you're part of the divide, and I am asking you nicely to leave because we don't need you.