22 Reminders For The Social Butterfly With A Worried Soul

I can see a light that is coming, for the heart that holds on

57
me

I am about to be 21 years old, and still to this day I have not ever had a teacher not ask me to please stop talking, or send a note home to my parents, or call them in for a conference to say (putting this nicely) "Your daughter is too social." In the 6th grade, my teacher told me and my mom that with my attention deficit, there was a chance I wouldn't graduate high school. I graduated as a Distinguished Honors Student, and President of my class for the second year in a row. What the people in my life doubting my abilities didn't realize, was that my scattered yet creative mind was doing was nothing less than extraordinary. My brain is so detail oriented, giving me the ability to remember so much, especially photographically. However, the small details in my mind that build up are not always butterflies and rainbows and sometimes can get so far in the way I forget to breathe.

College and "adulating" has definitely made my overthinking and anxiety overflow, and with an added ADHD, and ADD, things can seem an extremely crazy in my head sometimes. However, I am the best at my poker face, I love life, I love people, I love adventure, I love my friends and my family, and while yes, I struggle with these things in an out every single day, I continue to remind myself that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, and I will not allow my brain to wander off on me. This one is for you guys, the ones like me who feel like there will never be an end to this struggle, and I can promise you, it is coming! You were put on this earth to spread joy, you have a purpose, and do not let anyone or anything take away from that solid truth!

1. No, it does not always feel like it, but life is way too special to sleep it away, try not to let sleep become your escape from pain. Ignoring it will only make it worse.

2. Don't be ashamed of yourself, trust me so many more people are drowning in their own thoughts too.

Embrace that, it's the first step to overcoming.

3. Even when you feel like nothing is going right, remember that you are still living and there is a beautiful place for you here, also, there is always someone going through something worse than you.

4. Do not envy those who seem like they aren't struggling.

1. They probably are holding back a lot more than you know, and 2. That is one of the many worries you can cut out easily...don't add to your already too long unnecessary list.

5. Pick and choose your battles, sometimes it is so easy to overthink and let your mind control your actions, but don't. It's not worth it.

6. Journal.

I can not even explain how much writing your thoughts out on paper for only you to see soothes your own soul.

7. Listen to music, dance.

Learn every word and eat a cupcake while you're at it.

8. Watch "Ellen," this is hands down the best advice in the entire world.

This lady brings me so much joy, and an overwhelming amount of beautiful emotions, I promise if your heart works you will love her. (She will meet me one day too, I promise.)

9. Dance party like Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang.

One day I was crying like a baby over who knows what when I decided to give this a try, but it's not the same unless you are alone and pantsless so do it.

10. Know that you are not and are never alone.

11. Pray.

Talking to God when I feel lost and alone is so comforting, and so is talking to him when I feel like I can't school anymore. Do it, I am telling you it's worth everything.

12. Treat yourself, have a cookie, indulge on some chocolate or your favorite pizza.

Life does not have to be all that boring all the time.

13. Never underestimate yourself.

If someone tells me I can't do something I am the first to persevere and do it, not to prove them wrong, but to prove to myself that I can. That is everything.

14. Live like today is your last day, give it all you have got.

I have learned that controlling my thoughts means not thinking too much, and to do that keeping myself occupied and productive makes all the difference.

15. Don't be scared.

I have to remind myself every day that I am okay, that I can do this, that I am way stronger than I know, and if the reminder is all it takes then I know I am moving forward. I spent way too long being scared of things that haven't even happened yet.

16. Breathe.

You may not even realize it, but seriously anxiety is real, and it can take away from normal everyday tasks such as regular breathing, just do it.

17. Do not label yourself, you are a cute little princess who thinks like a calculator.

You still have it going on. It's all good, you've got this.

18. Figure out what you are best at, figure out what you were made for, and embrace it, life is so much better that way.

19. Don't forget about your friends, period.

20. Talk to someone, keeping those thoughts and emotions bundled up inside can literally eat you alive.

Do not ever be scared to let it out, just find someone you trust, and that you are comfortable enough around. Everyone deserves to be happy, and it's up to you to decide if you're going to be, do not hold back.

21. Live life to the absolute fullest, smile as much as possible, if you need to cry, do it. Laugh, embrace your beauty.

Fall in love, chase your dreams. You are no different than anyone else.

22. You will get through this, there IS an end to this, and life is beautiful, you just have to see it that way.

xoxo,

Casey