A Letter To My Cousins And Family Now That We're Grown

Turns out family and cousins are your first best friends

14

As we all take summer vacations and visit our families, I can't help but have flashbacks of all the memories I've shared with my cousins over the years. We've shared memories that will truly last a lifetime. In the last 16 years, it became so much easier to sit with our blended family in the living room on Grammy and Papa's house in Rocky Mount, North Carolina that felt so much like home. For the first time in the past year, we've all gone our separate ways with college and exploring our first jobs as we enter this new phase of adult life.

Little did I know after all these years that my cousins were my first best friends. The unconditional love we have for each other is special and definitely like no other. You make life more enjoyable and make life feel a little more like home. You create a space with no judgment, which is hard to come by. Even though we live a great distance apart, I want you to know I will always support you and am only one call away. Being an only child, it's nice to have cousins to spoil, sometimes prank them, or even be a sister for a day(especially the little cousins).

To be honest, you probably know more about me then I do(the embarrassing moments, my personality, and everything between). Visiting you is one of the most special times with lots of personal conversations and heart to hearts, catching up on life, and having fun along the way. Coming to visit is fun, but leaving is even harder. Not only for the southern vibe and atmosphere but the simpler life of living in the Carolinas.

I feel so fortunate to have lived in two states where our family's history is so rich and full. To hear stories about ancestors I didn't know is worthwhile and adds great meaning to our lives. Not many people can say they have lived in the same state where their ancestor came to the United States, which is so inspiring.

You bring so much joy to the world, far from what I could have ever imagined. All of you are truly a light and I can't wait to see the things we will do and where life will take us in all of our futures. I hope that we can say one day that we are all proud to have lived in the South and grown up southern.

You are so much more than relatives and will always be our closest friends. Thank you for always looking out for me, your loving personalities, and the affection you have shown me over the years. I am more than proud to be your cousin and will always be here in times of need. Because at the end of the day, FaceTime is just one phone tap away!