This Is A Time To Love, Not Hate

This Is A Time To Love, Not Hate

How Are Nation Should Move Forward After The 2016 Election

77
This Is A Time To Love, Not Hate
International Center for Ethno-Religious Mediation

If you have followed any of my writings on the Odyssey, you know that I have only written a few articles regarding politics. Most of my articles revolve around lighter topics such as sports, music, and academics, as I am a college student who is involved in both the track team and the band program. For those who are unfamiliar with my writing, earlier in the past year I wrote an article regarding voter turnout and why it was important for people to make educated decisions when voting.

I am dedicating my article this week to writing about the results regarding the upcoming election results and the fear that has swept this country throughout the past week. There has been a lot on my heart regarding this election, and I feel that it’s time that I speak about my opinion towards the protesting, racism, and violence that is occurring in this country since Trump's victory. Before you go further, I understand that my viewpoint might be radically different than yours. I understand that people are angry about the racism in this country, and how millions of people are feeling alienated by Donald Trump. I hate that people are committing hate crimes, racism, sexism, and violence because they feel that their actions are now justified. I understand that I am a straight, white male who wouldn't feel the real burden of the hate in this country because I have "white privilege". My goal in this article however, is that I express precisely what the title implies. If there is a hate comment that you feel justified to give or you highly disagree with this article, feel free to message me about it. I want to however, present you my full and honest opinion because I feel that you the readers, deserve it.

I want start by saying that I am horrified at the hatred that I've seen on Facebook and in this country. The number of Facebook posts, messages,and pictures I have seen in this country denouncing people who supported Trump, Hillary, or any of the other candidates are astonishing. I get that people feel the need to fight back given that Trump has claimed to make life difficult for a lot of people in this country, such as illegal immigrants and LGBTQ people. I’ve seen the messages speaking out against such groups, and I understand your need to defend yourself and assert your opinion. That is right given to you as U.S. citizens and residents of this country.

To give you some personal background, my family on my mom side immigrated to the United States during the 1950’s. Following the aftermath of the Second World War and beginning of the Cold War. My grandfather, who was born in Poland during the Great Depression and Second World War, lost his father from Soviet persecution and his mother from disease. His family, which consisted of him and his four brothers, were separated on the division and he was homeless for his adolescence. He told me a story about how he paid a farmer everything he had to hop in a hay stack to escape from East to West Germany. He then, worked in West Germany, met my grandmother and they immigrated to the United States legally. He and my grandmother learned how to live in the United States without a high school degree, and raised my mother and her four brothers who all received college degrees. I’m now a second generation American, who is looking to get his college degree from the University of St. Thomas.

My father side, on the other hand, has lived in the United States for quite some time. My father grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana during the 1970’s and 1980’s, and was raised Catholic. My mom and him decided to move to Minnesota after they met each other for working for an insurance company in Philadelphia. Growing up, I was given a mix of both liberal and conservative opinions from my mother’s and father’s side of the family alike. This caused me to consider political issues before I made decisions. I know that my family was split on this election about who they supported and I know that I was too. I didn’t want to vote for either candidate, no matter how much I researched them. That’s why I voted 3rd party, and choose a candidate that represented my political view and beliefs. I didn’t realize however, that I was going to wake up the day after election day and find a country that was more divided and angry than ever. I saw that hatred, for the time being, had won, and that fear was casted in my friend’s hearts, and the helplessness that the people felt when the electoral college turnout was not reflective of the popular vote of the people.

Getting back to the issue at hand, I have a choice to make just like the rest of you regardless of who you supported. We can choose to defend the people we love, or destroy the people you hate. You can protect your rights as citizens and people of the United States, or you can choose to be apart of the violence and hatred. I cannot relate to LGBTQ (I am not Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, or Queer), I am not African America, Muslim, Mexican, or whoever else after the aftermath of Trump’s election are sacred to be persecuted or deported. All I am asking, from everyone, is that you choose not to hate. That you choose to be better than the racism, better than the violence, better than what divides the country. It isn’t going to be easy, and I am not going to alienate my family for who they choose. I suggest you should not do the same. Regardless of whether you wanted it or not, Trump is our president-elect. I hope this experience will encourage people to get out of their comfort zones and get involved politically.

I remember I asked my grandmother why she came to the United States, and she told me, “It was the place to get rich”. I still believe that this country can be great, despite the racism and violence that is plaguing this country. It starts however, with the people who are going to stand up for themselves and for people like me, who aren't as affected as other to stand up for those who are. It starts, with those who chose love over hate.