Why Do I Play Softball?

Why Do I Play Softball?

Everyone needs to be reminded of their reason to keep going.

3957
Why Do I Play Softball?
App State Sports

Just like with everything you do, you need a “why.” You need a reason behind the way you act, the things you say, and especially the sports you play. As a collegiate student-athlete, you often have to remind yourself of why you started playing in the first place. When times get tough, you have to think about the purpose in your playing and why you have a passion for your sport and everything that comes with being an athlete. Otherwise, you begin to question the reasons you are where you are.

For me, softball is not just an extracurricular activity or a way to get out of class on Fridays when the team travels. Playing Division I softball was a dream of mine since I began playing at the age of six. It was always the ultimate goal. It took countless hours of time and energy to get to this point. You feel like recruiting is an endless process until you finally commit to a school; but just getting recruited isn’t the end. Now that I’m here and I’m playing at this level, my dream isn’t over. When you sign that NLI or verbally commit to a program, you are committing another four years – or more – of your life to that coach, the players on that team, and that school. You are representing them in ways that other students cannot; and that is rewarding in itself.

During these four years, you have those days when everything is fun, you feel like all that you’ve worked on is paying off and you fall in love with the game all over again. Other days, however, you feel discouraged, inadequate and sometimes confused if this lifestyle is even something you still want to do. You could play for a team full of champions and still have these days. That’s just the honest truth.

What will turn these bad days around is reminding yourself of your “why.” You have a reason behind why you wanted to work to this point. You have a purpose in carrying out everything that is demanded of you as a college athlete. Remind yourself of this “why” and your hard days will get easier, and your good days will be even better.

Why do I play softball? I play to prove to people that I could make it as far as possible with this sport. My hometown high school was known as an “easy win” to every other school in our conference. I play to prove to every opponent I’ve had that I was worth it, I was better than that and I deserve to play at a higher level. I play for my family and my friends who have been in the stands during games even when I sat the bench. I play to show them that softball is still a value to me, and their support is even more valuable.

I play because God has given me this talent, and what I do with this talent is my way of worshipping and thanking Him. I play to show that God’s light shines through my actions on and off the field. I play to grow closer to my teammates and show them God’s grace and love even when they do not know it. My sport is my way of continuing my faith in another aspect of my life.

Last but not least, I play for myself. I play to prove to myself that after everything I’ve been through in life, softball has been a constant. My love for the game has never changed despite everything else that has. It has been my outlet, my escape and my reward. I play to show myself that the doubts I’ve had about my talent or my worth as an athlete aren’t true. I play to grow stronger as a player and a person with every lift and every practice. If it weren’t for softball, I would not have learned all of the same skills that are preparing me for my life after sports.

I play to show others that I am capable of finishing what I started. I play to prove that I am not a quitter. Despite the obstacles, the adversity and the struggles, I am here to show that I am competitive, resilient, and hard to break. After all, it’s hard to beat someone who doesn’t give up.

It doesn’t matter if your “why” is the same as mine, but everyone needs one. You need to know exactly why you’re living out day to day as an athlete. Some days you’ll remember why you began playing, and others you won’t; but it’s up to you whether or not your “why” is strong enough to overcome the days when it gets hard to keep going. So the next time you feel discouraged or beat down, remember why you fell in love with the game on day one.