13 Reasons Why I Choose To Live

13 Reasons Why I Choose To Live

It's always easy to look for the bad, so I decided to look for the good.

40
13 Reasons Why I Choose To Live
Mikayla Houser

The other day I was trying to think about something to write, something that would be meaningful but also relatable. One of my amazing sorority sisters, Darby, gave me the idea to do a list of thirteen reasons to keep living, because of the show that’s become increasingly popular. I really liked this idea because I know how hard it can be to look for the good in everyday, but I also know that it is so worth finding. On that note, these are the thirteen things I choose to live for every single day.

1. Sunrises and Sunshine

No matter my mood, walking outside and feeling the sun warm on my skin puts me in a much better frame of mind. I also think sunrises are such a powerful metaphor, and just overall beautiful. For me, it has always been reassuring to think that no matter how bad today is, the sun will still rise tomorrow.

2. High Heels and Cute Dresses

Either separately or together, these two parts of my wardrobe definitely make me feel more confident. I love wearing dresses because they fit my personality so well. Added bonus, I don't have to wear pants when I wear a dress. Heels just make me feel good because for me, being taller makes me feel so much better about myself.

3. My animals

I've got three now and they are so precious to me. Marty and Lucy are my dogs and they are beyond adorable in just about every way. Tobias, usually called Toby, is my guinea pig and I never knew how much you could love such a little creature until I got him. They make every day better just by existing.

4. A Good Book

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to read, and books always improve my mood significantly. Whenever I'm having a bad day, reading an old favorite never fails to brighten my mood, or at least make me forget about what was upsetting me in the first place.

5. Warm and Cuddly Blankets

I am an affectionate person, and I love to cuddle. Most of the time when there's not a human for me to cuddle, I wrap myself in a warm blanket and just relax. My newest obsession is the tie blanket my big made me because it's literally one of the cuddliest blankets I've ever had. Being surrounded by warmth makes me feel better and calms my anxieties about the day.

6. Chocolate

This one's pretty self explanatory, I love eating chocolate and if i wasn't alive, I would never taste it again. That's one reason, albeit a small one, to push through every bad day.

7. Babysitting

I recently started working more frequently in my home town as a babysitter, with one family I've worked with for over a year now. Helping shape these children and witnessing milestones in their lives is something i wouldn't trade for the world. Plus, baby giggles might be the cutest sound you will ever hear.

8. My Family

They mean the world to me. No matter what, I know my family will always have my back, and I know our lives would be different if one of us wasn't around. Getting to hang out with my siblings, go shopping with my mom or taco bell dates with my dad are things I would never be able to let go of.

9. My Sorority Sisters

Dear God, these women mean so much to me. It gets hard to accept that I haven't known them for more than a few months because I'm already so close to all of them. They make me smile everyday and no matter what I'm going through, I know I can lean on them to get me through it.

10. Music

Im a drummer, and it's been a part of my life since I was ten years old. I love the drums and how they contribute to the band. Outside of that though, I just love music in general. From country to pop, I love all of it. And nothing snaps me out of a bad mood faster than listening to Disney music.

11. Debate

I'm a member of my college's debate team, and I was also a competitor for my high school team. Debate saved me from turning into an even more awkward version of myself and showed me how to interact with people around me. I love debating for the rush of it all, and feeling like I can use what I love for the rest of my life is all I need sometimes.

12. 5-year-old Me

When I was little, I had so many dreams for how my life was going to turn out. Not all of them have happened the way I imagined back then, but it's not like a fairy princess was too attainable to begin with. One thing I do know though, is that I am happy. When I was little and pictured my future, I just wanted to find people to love, and have them love me too. I keep going everyday knowing I'm finally there.

13. My Future

My goals drive me every day to not give up. I want to be one of the best lawyers I can be, and someday even make my way into politics. I also want to get married and have a big family, filled with kids and dogs alike. If I give up now, I would never have those things. I would miss out on so much love and happiness because of temporary pain. Refusal to let that be my legacy is what keeps me going everyday.

The list for why I live is definitely a lot longer, but I think you get the point. No matter how stressful life can get, you have to look for reasons to push through. This article helped me so much even just in my regular life. It's been a pretty hectic week, and the semester ending has me in a slump. But writing this forced me to remember why I smile and what I'm working toward. Find your reasons and hold on to them, they can save you from yourself if you let them.