The Ultimate Spring Break Bucket List

The Ultimate Spring Break Bucket List

When your only destination is your living room couch.

380
The Ultimate Spring Break Bucket List

If you are anything like me—that is a professional procrastinator—planning a spring break trip tends to be a major fail. Only once in my college career have I gone away for spring break, and that was for a service trip in Arizona. That trip showed me something other than The Grand Canyon, mountains in the horizon, cacti, and beautiful sunsets. The trip to Arizona showed me that adventure awaits around every corner and we need only look for it. Yet here I am my last spring break of my college career and I have procrastinated myself to a beautiful trip on my living room couch with a whole lot of Netflix.

So how can we create adventure without plane tickets and a long distance destination? I have willingly decided to create a Spring Break Bucket List for all those professional procrastinating, low budget, college kids like me who will be enjoying their week right in their own home. Without further ado; here is the Spring Break Bucket List.

1. Go on a hike

Check the forecast for the week and pick a day find a trail and go! There are plenty of trails in New Jersey so pack a backpack, call your friends and explore the outdoors!

2. Try a new restaurant

Sometimes going to a new restaurant with exotic food can almost seem like you are on a trip in a foreign land. Check out one of my old favorites Jose Tejas or a new favorite The House of Thai if you live in New Jersey. Both places feel like a trip far away.

3. Read a whole book

This is a super big challenge. Remember the days when you were a kid and you used to devour a Harry Potter book in one day? Okay maybe that was just me. Hey if you’ve got the time give it a try! There is nothing better than getting lost in a good book.

4. See a movie

This seems like a pretty boring one but how often do we actually go to the movies when we are bogged down with tests and papers? I recently went to a movie theatre in Montclair, New Jersey, and watched a low-budget Indie film. Go to a weird movie get a big bucket of popcorn and enjoy yourself.

5. Take a walk in the park

There is nothing more refreshing than a good walk in a pretty park. Really want to challenge yourself? Go to NYC just to explore Central Park.

6. Try one of those wine and painting places

I still have yet to do this but I bet it would be pretty cool. Even if you are terrible at painting everyone seems to create such beautiful designs. You could also go to one of those pottery places.

7. Take someone special to a cool café

No not Starbucks, not Dunkin Donuts. Find a cool café and go there. The Fine Grind is one of my favorites and some nights they even have live music!

8. Transform your room

Somehow while I am away at school my room at home becomes a dumping ground for everything my family doesn’t know what to do with. Spend a day with the windows open and the music up and tackle your room. Clean it. Organize it. Heck give it a new paint job. Create a space that fits who you are now.

9. Take a day trip to a near-by state

This is actually not as hard as it looks. There are plenty of surrounding states with plenty of cool things to do. Check out a state you haven’t been to find somewhere to go and explore.

10. Go to a museum

There is no better way to show off your cultured-college-intelligence than to go to a museum.

11. Go to the city

Wherever you live there is bound to be a big city in the surrounding area. Go explore.

12. Buy a real plant

This one is specifically for me. I have two fake plants and no real ones. I should probably buy a real one.

13. Have a picnic

If there is a warm day during your week of spring break make some sandwiches, cut up some cheese, buy some grapes, do number five and have a picnic. Boys…if you like a girl this is a pretty cute date.

14. Take a yoga class

I currently take Yoga as my gym requirement at school and a few kids in my class were talking about how cool it would be to go on a Yoga retreat. My teacher said, “The U.S. does Yoga better. Just take a class at a really Zen Yoga place.” Go get your Namaste on right here in New Jersey.

15. Take a day trip to the beach

I think its really cool to go to a beach town before summer starts. Its less hectic and super nostalgic. Visit some shops, take a walk on the beach and eat dinner at one of your favorite summer restaurants.

16. Find an exotic recipe and attempt to create it

Why go away and eat cool food when you can embarrass yourself and try and cook it yourself? Hey if you like to cook this could be an awesome opportunity to try something delicious even if you fail though it will probably be a great memory!

17. Buy a package of peeps and make s’mores with them

Easter is coming up so peeps are in every store. Go buy a pack. Seriously stop reading this article and buy some.

18. Have a bonfire with your friends

This goes hand in hand with number 17. What were you thinking making those peep s’mores by yourself in your kitchen?? Invite friends over and make a fire in your backyard.

19. Go somewhere and write something

Write a thank you note, a short story, a poem, your grocery list. Everyone can write. Writing is an amazing way to express yourself and alleviate tension. Get your thoughts down on a piece of paper.

20. Go to a zoo

There is no explanation for this. Animals are great.

21. Visit relatives you don’t normally see

Whether its your grandparents that live down the street (me) or family that lives an hour away. You have nothing to do? Call them up and visit them.

22. Go to a pet store and hang out with puppies

Puppies are my personal favorite but hey if you’re one of those weird people that like cats and iguanas pet them too.

23. Go to a college town

I have this thing about colleges I think they are pretty cool. My campus is really beautiful and if I didn’t go there I would love to spend a day hanging outside exploring. Find another college and go visit it!

24. Go to one of those Garden-Sculpture Grounds places

Somehow this is something I never knew existed. There are these cool gardens and sculpture grounds that exist right in NJ. This is definitely on my to-do list.

25. Go to an aquarium

This could go really well with #15 or be an alternative to #20 if you are afraid of animals or something.

26. Go to a concert

Concerts are fun and an acceptable place to belt out your favorite songs in public.

27. Pay for a person behind you at the coffee-shop you go to

This is just a nice thing to do anytime. If you are not a nice person usually maybe you can start on Spring Break.

28. Don’t use your cell phone for 24 hours

I don’t know if any 21st century college student has done this ever. College students are super consumed with emails, social media, texts and calls. Leave your phone in your room and hang out with your mom or something.

29. Buy yourself something

Chances are your friends who actually planned a spring break trip are going to come back with a new top or at least a tan. Why not come back to school with something cool you got over spring break? For me this will be a real plant.

30. Have a game night

Be a nerd and get every board game you ever played as a child. Find people that will play with you. Its actually a quite liberating experience.

31. Have a movie marathon

If you are too cheap to go to the movies and you get stuck with a really awful weather week watch every single Harry Potter movie. Caution: you may walk around calling people muggles and casting spells for a few days.