The pandemic and mental health

The pandemic and mental health

I think it's safe to say that we are all kind of in a funk with our mental health. I thought it would be a good idea to write this article in order to give all of us a mental health check

25
The pandemic and mental health

What are you doing right now? Well for one, you are reading my article. But you are also experiencing something we all did not think that we would experience. A global pandemic is no joke but even so, it is not an excuse for us to put our mental health on hold. There might be things that could be holding us back from checking our mental health constantly.

One of my least favorite things that I've seen is people saying that we could have it way worse than some people, therefore, we don't have the right to feel bad about the life we are having. I think that it is perfectly okay to feel sad and think that this whole thing is unfair. We should still count our blessings, but that doesn't mean we don't have the right to feel. That's the first step to checking your mental health.

I think that it is hard to focus on the positive aspects of life when the world around you is falling apart. My solution to this is keeping a small journal or diary. I write 10 things that make me happy every day in the journal and it helps me realize that life can still be awesome even if the situation around us is not.

You should feel proud of the little accomplishments that you have every day. Maybe you feel like a minor task such as cleaning your room is not something worth celebrating, but in my books it is. I think you should take a moment in your day and celebrate your little accomplishments.

I find it best to binge watch things that are pure comedy. Whenever I am sad, I usually tend to self destruct by wanting to listen to sad songs or what a sad movie. I have found it best to devote that time now to funny shows. My favorite thing that I have been doing is watching the old Disney Channel shows, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Lastly, if you need a break from the sadness of life just unplug for a little bit. It might be hard to do that since everywhere that you could go to is closed. I would just sit there and be with my thoughts for a day. If you want to watch Netflix, that's okay, but stay away from the news and social media.