The Golden Girls

The Golden Girls

Stay gold, US women's gymnastics. Stay gold.

17
The Golden Girls
Twitter

No, this article isn't about an 80s American sitcom where four mature women lead entertaining lives in Miami. This article pertains to the recently selected women's US Olympic gymnastics team. With Rio just around the corner, the news surrounding the Olympics is heating up. You may remember the "fierce five" who took home the team gold in women's gymnastics in the 2012 London Olympics. The new star squad is equipped with two of those athletes (which is extremely impressive) and three new faces to the gymnastics world. Let's meet your all-star Olympians.

Gabby Douglas

You may recognize the name Gabby Douglas, as it belongs to the face of women's gymnastics and the reigning all-around Olympic champion in women's gymnastics. Although she took some time off of the sport and has had some setbacks (including difficulty making the Olympic team after falling off of the beam twice at trials) she seems mentally prepared to take that podium once again for the US.

Aly Raisman

You may also remember this name. The 2012 Olympic floor champion, Raisman is fierce and colorful, bringing heart and spirit to the team. She has had a strong gymnastics career since London and promises to deliver in Rio. We'll be looking for her on the floor. She will also be a team leader (she was just named the team captain) with the respect and experience she has.

Simone Biles

The superwoman of the gymnastics world, an all-muscle powerhouse, and the favored AA champion in Rio, this young gymnast never disappoints. Reaching insane heights on her skills and demanding attention and power on floor, she is truly an Olympian. Olympic champions even sing her praises (Nastia Liukin, Shawn Johnson). She's also won the World's gymnastics competition the past three years in a row -- no big deal. (I have a theory that she could win the men's gymnastics competition as well).

Laurie Hernandez

This firecracker is a new face on the gymnastics scene. Dubbed the "human emoji," her zest and energy in her floor routine is a fan favorite for Rio. Laurie is charismatic and fun, but don't let that fool you. She performs with strength and talent of a seasoned Olympian (think Gabby Douglas in 2012 or Shawn Johnson in 2008).

Madison Kocian

Madison is also a new face to the Olympic world. Her uneven bars routine is genuinely stunning. She is the 2015 World's champion in bars, an event the US isn't typically a powerhouse in. Kocian is definitely an asset to this team.

So as the road to Rio nears it's end, these girls show us what hours of dedication and preparation look like. They're inspiring and truly super-human. The Olympic Games opening ceremonies air on NBC on August 5. Happy Olympics!