The Day After The Election
Politics

The Day After The Election

A post-election response.

61
The Day After The Election
Wordpress

Last night was election night in the United States and Donald J. Trump was elected the 45th president of our beautiful country. Last night we elected a misogynistic, racist, possible rapist, intolerant of other religions, inexperienced, comedic act of a man into the highest office of the land.

And I could not be happier this morning.

I woke up healthy, in my bed at one of the top institutions in this country, living in the best country and democracy the world has ever seen. On social media and in person I have seen an outcry of despair among anyone who did not vote for the winning candidate. And while yes I have no ounce of respect for the man who now runs my country; I have no respect either for the weak willed population who have been crying and protesting and complaining and forsaking our countries future to what they say is nothing but bleak.

Last night the freest country in the world elected their new leader. Men and women of all races and creeds were allowed to cast their vote for whoever they liked for whatever reasons that they chose. They had to choose between the man I described in my first paragraph of a crooked career politician whose name is so closely related with a scandal that it is hard to talk about her without associating at least one type of scandal along with it. So one of the greatest acts of the free world, the American presidential election, took place and the choices were both shitty in their own rights. Morally I thought the choice was clear but obviously, a majority of people feel differently which is their right. Still, do not blame the system of democracy for this, do not blame people who think differently from you for this, but rather I would ask you to not blame anyone or anything.

This election told us nothing we did not already know. Our country is one that is extremely divided full of racism, sexism, discrimination against the LGBTQ community, institutionalized racism, a poverty cycle, a questionable still recovering economy, and an overall uncertainty of how to fix almost any of those problems. We face all of these problems and more and if we forsake our future at this moment right now before any oaths of office are sworn before any offices are left and refilled then we are forsaking hope. I would ask all of those who went to bed with tears in their eyes to wipe them clean and understand that our future has never been brighter. We live in America land of the free and home of the brave and anything we want to set our minds to we can make happen no matter who our president is. Understand that forsaking this country or threatening to leave is not only cowardly but also a blatant spit in the face of everything good this country has ever done or ever will do.

I will never leave this country no matter who is in charge of it. I have too much faith in the institution and the institution's ability to change. I will stay here and hold my elected officials to the highest standard possible as they should be. We should hold them to a high standard and keep them to it by any means available, but we can not lose respect for anyone and the office they hold. As an American, we can complain, speak out, and hold any opinion we want for any elected official but there always needs to be an underlying level of respect (even if that official has no respect for others) because for everybody who dislikes a candidate there is someone who does like them. Without a common aspect of respect, we can not engage in a civil discourse on issues.

So, in conclusion, I would ask that we have respect. Respect in the face of those who do not respect us. Respect for the office and institutions if not the people who hold them. A respect for the fact that the candidate who won the majority of the vote won the election which is not always the case in other countries. Respect for your fellow Americans, no matter who they voted for because that is their right. And I ask that you not forsake anything yet. Hope for the best and have faith in the goodness of men and women.

God Bless America