The Best Medicine

The Best Medicine

Why you should stress less, and laugh more!

119
The Best Medicine
Tumblr

With a lot of hateful acts going on in our world right now, it’s hard to keep a clear mind and a happy heart. We sometimes want to curl up, shut out the world and forget all of our stress. The only way to cure this, in my opinion, is through laughter. Laughter is one of the best medicines!

There are short-term and long-term benefits from having a good laugh. When you laugh, it stimulates many organs -- such as your heart, lungs and muscles -- and it produces good endorphins. Laughing out the stress relieves your stress response and increases heart rate along with your blood pressure, causing a more relaxed feeling and soothing the tension from your body. According to Mayo Clinic, laughter improves your immune system, relieves pain and overall improves your mood.

How can you add more humor into your life? First, start off by getting rid of any negative things in your life that may be causing unnecessary stress, such as social media. Then dive deep into the world of humor. It could be something simple such as reading comic strips in your local paper, watching a funny movie or sketch, or going to see a comedian. I find myself laughing to the "Pearls Before Swine" comics in the area paper and watching old "Saturday Night Live" sketches on my phone (in a van down by the river).

If you want to expand your horizons on the world of comedy, join an improv/acting class or try an open mic night at a comedy club. By doing this, not only will you learn techniques, you’ll also have fun and get to meet new people with the same humor as you! I recently tried stand up comedy for the first time. I’ll admit I was so nervous, but when I got up on stage, I seemed right at home. Yeah, I messed up a few times, but I found a way to laugh at myself and keep going.

Most importantly, spend time with friends who make you laugh. Don’t be around negative people who will bring you down by pointing out faults. Try out that new joke you heard, play a game of charades, just be silly and let loose! Your friends are going to be the ones to tell you if you’ve gone too far, but they’ll also be the ones to cheer you up.

With these tips in mind, you’ll be on your way to a happier, healthier, and more hilarious life.