Although many people believe Thanksgiving isn't a real holiday, and that the Christmas season begins on November 1st, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year. I mean, how could so many people disrespect such a wonderful day? You literally designate an entire day to cooking and eating as much fatty, greasy food as humanly possible. So, as an ode to Thanksgiving, here are my favorite parts of Thanksgiving.
This is sort of a given. I think everyone's favorite part of Thanksgiving is cooking and eating. Every year, I look forward to my mom's pineapple cheese casserole. It sounds kinda weird and gross, but trust me: it's delicious. Turkey, ham, green bean casserole, and sweet potato pie resonate Thanksgiving to me.
I will say, though, there are always those weird foods nobody really ever eats. Although she makes a bomb pineapple cheese casserole, my mom also makes this weird green Jell-o stuff with celery and Cool Whip. Not sure why she continues to make this every year because nobody ever eats it.
Spending Time with Family
My mom's side of the family and my dad's live pretty far apart, so we alternate from year to year. It is very rare that my entire family is together, so I always get really excited to see my cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents all together at once.
I love cooking with my grandmother and playing games with my cousins. Thanksgiving just provides time for everyone to relax and enjoy each others' company.
Who could possibly complain about school being closed? There is a very big gap between fall break and Christmas break, so Thanksgiving gives everyone a breather from work and school. Personally, it gives me a chance to regain my sanity in the midst of studying for finals.
Going to a Movie
Thanksgiving is the perfect day to see a movie. Everyone else is at home still eating, but my family likes to go out and see the new blockbusters for the holiday season. It's amazing because there are no lines at the ticket stand, the concessions counter, and you get to choose whichever seat you want.
Black Friday Shopping
Although a little chaotic, Black Friday shopping is super fun. After a whole day of eating and napping, you feel energized the next morning. A good way to get that energy out is to, of course, go shopping! You get to save money and spend more time with your family before returning back home for school.
So, there you have it, my favorite parts of Thanksgiving. Next time you want to play Christmas music or hang your stocking in November, just remember how great Thanksgiving really is and give it the respect it deserves.
- Black Friday Can Be A Holiday ›
- 5 Thanksgiving Foods Too Weird To Eat The Rest of The Year ›
- How To Talk To Your Family At Thanksgiving ›
- Why African and Native Americans Shouldn't Celebrate Thanksgiving ›
- Favorite Holiday Traditions ›
- 5 Reasons Why I Love Thanksgiving ›
- 10 Thanksgiving Traditions Of A Crazy Southern Family ›
- New Thanksgiving Traditions ›
- My Family's Thanksgiving Traditions ›
- Black Friday Sales Ruin Thanksgiving Traditions ›
- Thanksgiving Day | How it's Celebrated in the US | Facts and ... ›
- Jesse Watters reveals favorite Thanksgiving traditions, how he ... ›
- 24 Thanksgiving Traditions You'll Want to Make Your Own | Martha ... ›
- Thanksgiving Traditions You Will Love | Reader's Digest ›
- 20 Best Thanksgiving Traditions to Start This Year - How to Start a ... ›
- 16 Unique Thanksgiving Traditions - Make the Holiday Your Own ›
- 12 Unique Thanksgiving Traditions - Best Traditions for Thanksgiving ›
- 20 Thanksgiving Traditions and Fun Things to do on Thanksgiving ... ›
- Thanksgiving Traditions ›
- Best Thanksgiving Traditions to Steal | Kitchn ›