A Thank You Letter To My Grandmother

A Thank You Letter To My Grandmother

"Nana: a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend." -Unknown

3481
A Thank You Letter To My Grandmother
Jordan T Pennington

With Mother’s Day being right around the corner, just as every year, I started to get emotional. I started to think about my non-existent relationship with my mother. This, although my choice due to circumstances throughout my childhood, is very difficult for me this time of year. However, it never lasts too long because I start to think about my grandmother instead. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to thank her for all she’s done in my life.

Dear Nana,

Thank you for everything. Words can’t even begin to describe how thankful I am for you, but I am going to give it a shot. I first want to thank you for not being my grandmother, but my mother. Thank you taking me in as a child and raising me as your own, with your values. I know I didn’t necessarily agree with all of your rules growing up, but I now see they were all in my best interest.

Thank you for taking me to church every Sunday, even when I didn’t want to go. This helped me learn to turn to God when I was having hard times, rather than the world. This helped me shape my way of thinking and my morals. Thank you for being my moral compass. Whenever I had trouble with someone being rude or hateful, you were always there to remind me to be the bigger person. You never failed to tell me “kill them with kindness” or “treat them how you would want to be treated.” You not only told me these things, but you were an example of them. You have always been so kind to those who treat you poorly. You have a big heart and I’m grateful to have gotten that from you.

Thank you for letting me do all my extracurricular activities, and there were a lot for our small town. You were always there to cheer me on and help me out. You never once missed a dance recital, gymnastics meet, band recital, choir concert, or play. When I cheered throughout high school, you tried your best to make every game. You were there for every fundraiser and even took me to state and regionals to cheer on my teams when the coaches wouldn’t.

Thank you for being my support system, from learning to read and write in preschool to now struggling through college. You have always pushed me to do my best and I believe it has made me do my best. Thank you for your nagging. I know I say it gets on my nerves and it doesn’t do anything but stress me out, but I am really grateful or I wouldn’t be where I am today. No, that does not mean increase it, though.

Thank you for letting me branch out and spread my wings. You have encouraged me to do so many things others don’t have the chance to do. You encouraged me to go to ADVANCE in Louisiana in seventh grade all by myself and then girl’s state junior year. Now you are encouraging me to travel as much as possible. Thank you for all these things and so much more, but most of all, thank you for being you. I will always be so incredibly grateful for all the things you have done for me.

All the late night TLC marathons, phone calls, advice talks, and you being my shoulder to cry on mean more to me than you will ever know. You have always said that God blessed you with me to be your rock when times got tough nearly 20 years ago, but that goes both ways. You are my rock and I am so blessed to have you as my grandmother. I don’t know where I’d be without you. I love you forever to the moon and back.

Love,

Your forever grateful granddaughter, “Jordie”