A Thank You Letter To "Friends"

A Thank You Letter To "Friends"

Because they'll be there for us when the rain starts to pour.

139
A Thank You Letter To "Friends"

The '90s sitcom "Friends" still remains popular even after going off the air over 10 years ago. This show is about a group of six friends in New York City as they grow up in their 20's and follows them through their ups and downs, both individually and as a group, whether it be regarding family, friends, relationships, or work.

We continue to watch this show because it allows us to laugh and escape reality as we live through Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Ross, Chandler, and Joey but also because it allows us to relate to someone as we go through similar experiences.

This is a bit overdue, but it's time to thank "Friends" for everything it has taught us and for making the real world just a little bit less scary. There are an endless amount of things that this sitcom can be thanked for.

1. Thank You For Showing Us It's OK To Be Scared To Enter The Real World

If Rachel Green can do it, we can too. Whether we are coming from college or from somewhere else, at some point we're going to have to enter the real world, a world where we have to get a job and support ourselves. It can be quite scary. "Friends" has taught us that it's OK to be a little scared...but we can do it.

2. Thank You For Teaching Us To Never Let Go Of That Inner Child

Thank you for teaching us that you're never too old for fun and games. Chandler and Joey always managed to find a way to have fun. So thank you for showing us that even as time leaves us, our inner child doesn't have to leave with it.

3. Thank You For Proving That Love Doesn't Just Have To Be Between A Man And A Woman

Thank you for breaking boundaries and stereotypes to prove love isn't limited to a man and a woman.

4. And Thank You For Showing Us Unconventional Pregnancies Are Nothing To Be Ashamed Of

5. Thank You For Showing Us That It Is Possible To Be Friends With The Opposite Sex Without It Leading To Anything More

For some reason in today's world, people think that if you're friends with the opposite sex, you have to have feelings for each other. If you look at Joey and Phoebe, you know that doesn't have to be the case. Thank you for giving us that friendship and showing us that a guy and a girl can be best friends without it being anything more than that.

6. And Also Thank You For Showing Us That Dating A Friend Can Work Out Too

Thank you for showing us both the pros and cons of dating a friend because in the real world, becoming romantically involved with a friend is not so rare. "Friends" showed us the fall outs as well as the beauty that comes out of dating that person and allowed us to relate to all the drama and excitement associated with it all. And thank you for giving us the Rachel and Ross breakup to show that even if it doesn't work out, exes can stay friends.

7. Thank You For Showing Us Guys Can Show Affections Towards Each Other Too Without It Being "Weird"

Thank you for showing the world that guys can hug without it being considered weird. Chandler, Joey, and Ross were never afraid to show affection towards each other. It seemed to make them closer friends.

8. Thank You For Teaching Us It's OK To Be Unsure Of What We Want To Do Or Who We Want To Be

Chandler spoke for us all at some point here. Sometimes we get a little lost or decide that we don't want to go down that path, but we will find our way just as Chandler did. Thank you for showing us we're not alone.

9. And Thank You For Encouraging Us To Follow Our Dreams

Throughout the 10 seasons, each character went through a series of jobs in order to find a way to support themselves. In the end, they followed their hearts and found something they loved to do, whether it be writing and singing songs or working for a high-end fashion company. No matter what the dream may be, they taught us to follow it and see where it takes us.

10. Thank You For Teaching Us To Fight For Those We Love

Thank you for telling us to fight for what we love and those we love, no matter how difficult it may be or the outcome.

11. Thank You For For Voicing Some Of Our Internal Thoughts And Fears

We can always count on Chandler to say everything we thought but never said out loud. His automatic sarcasm and fear of commitment can be almost too relatable, but that's what makes us love him.

12. Thank You For Making Us Laugh (And Cry)

Thank you for giving us characters to invest so much in that we feel what they feel, whether it be laughter and happiness or sadness.

13. Thank You For Giving Us A New Language

Thank you for giving us an abundance of references and jokes to make with other fans of the show and for giving us a special bond with those who understand the language of "Friends."

14. Thank You For Teaching Us The Importance Of Friendship

Thank you for teaching us the value and strength of friendship. Thank you for showing us that our friends are like family and will have our back through it all. No matter what happened, friendship prevailed.

To try and thank "Friends" for everything it has done to help us would be impossible. Everyone is in debt to this show in their own way. It gave people something to relate to as they grew up, it gave them a place to escape to for laughs and entertainment, and it gave them guidance as they experienced something a character went through on the show. The beauty of it is that this show has impacted people of all ages in a unique way.

We may never truly find a way to thank "Friends" fully, so here's just the start.