A Thank You Letter To My Bed

A Thank You Letter To My Bed

Chronic illness sufferers have an especially intimate relationship with their bed, but everyone else should also be thankful!
25

Guilty secret: I am an incredibly big fan of the Gilmore girls and binge-watch the series on a regular basis – thank you Netflix. However, as much as I love the show, I nearly descended into a full-on boycott after I heard Rory make the ludicrous claim that you can't have a relationship with your bed.

Well, as a chronic illness sufferer, I can tell you that the relationship between my bed and me is the most meaningful and long-term relationship I've ever had. It's the thing I spend the most amount of time with and has not yet let me down.

In light of this, I felt it was only appropriate to write an open and grateful letter to this wondrous little lump of wood and feathers, which makes my life better with every day that passes.

My Beloved Bed,

I cannot express my gratitude. You have provided me with unfaltering care whenever I’ve ever asked; you’ve gone above and beyond with the time you’ve committed to supporting my ongoing illness and me. When I was rolling around in agony, you were there; when I was unable to keep down food or water, you were there; when I was so fatigued I couldn’t even lift a finger, it was you who kept me company all day.

It doesn’t matter what’s happening in your life, if I forget to make you in the morning or don’t wash your sheets in good time, you will never grumble. If I share you with others or leave you alone while I’m away, I know you won’t hold it against me. You, great bed, are perfection personified (or bedified…?)

You Have Seen Me At My Worst

There is a quote that regularly floats around social media that talks about the perfect boyfriend still believing you're beautiful when you are in sweats with no makeup. With you, I know that it doesn't matter what I look like, or even how I'm feeling. And Lord knows, bed, we've been through it all…

Remember that time I came home steaming drunk. I tried to read a book with you and ended up vomiting over us all. Or the many occasions I've bawled into your pillows, slobbering unashamedly all over you because I knew you'd understand. Those fevered nights where the morning would see you covered in my sweat and I'd be too ill to resolve the situation; there is no-one else I would have chosen to go with me through all of that.

You’re the Least Fussy Date

I remember the days of getting ready for dates; the time spent compiling the perfect outfit, trying to get your makeup right or deciding an appropriate thing to do for the evening. With you bed, all those things are completely irrelevant.

You saw me naked the first night we spent together. I've spent time with you in gym clothes, ridiculous pajamas, yesterday's clubbing outfit and makeup, and I've never once worried that you'd judge me. We've gorged on takeaway and binge-watched TV or just napped away the evening; I've spilled Hoisin sauce all over your clothes and stolen all the covers away from you. Do you care? Not in the slightest.

You’ll Be With Me Forever

And by far the greatest thing about our relationship, my wonderful bed, which makes it unlike any other that I will ever experience, is that I know that it’s going to last forever. Whether you’re the gigantic king-sized at home, a roll-up mat and sleeping bag in a festival tent or a simple mattress and sheet in a hostel dorm, there will always be a place I can go to snuggle up when I'm feeling sick or sad or just merely sleepy.

I never have to worry about you leaving me, and I know that nothing I can do will change this situation. You are probably the most important thing in my life and the one that would be the hardest to cope without. I think that I, like most people, have failed to appreciate you over the years. But now, more than ever, I am in need of you, and I am so grateful that you are there.

With endless love,
Your nightly occupier. X

So there it is, Rory Gilmore. It is possible to have a relationship with your bed, and if you or anyone else thinks otherwise, then I suggest you should try showing it some more love and respect. It's not just those of us who are sick, and therefore readily acknowledge how beloved our bed is, that need to take the time to say thanks.

Comment below and let us know some reasons why you love your bed! There are endless options to choose from.