Ten People You'll Meet at the Gym

Ten People You'll Meet at the Gym

These Guys Really Irk Me!

27
Ten People You'll Meet at the Gym
Mark T. Hardy II

Have you ever had someone that you wanted nothing more than to punch square in the face, but couldn't because you either have too much self-respect for it, or are very fearful of the consequences should you get caught? Yeah, me too. This is especially true when it comes to going to the gym. All you ever want to do when you're there is get your workout on and improve your body, that's it. But every time you try, it seems, someone manages to get in your way. Some of you are probably already nodding your heads the more you read, already having gotten a mental image of someone like that at your gym. People like that are just so annoying, aren't they? And I'm not talking about newbies either, their slowness in the gym can't be helped, I'm talking about some of the ones that view themselves as regulars. Here's a list of all of the ones I've come across and just want to scream at.

1. The Meat Heads-We've all seen these guys before, all beefed up, in their skimpy, tight fitting, unitard-looking gym-wear. These guys are the ones that most people either aspire to be like, or not at all, depending on their muscle mass. These guys are typically over in the free weight section in gyms and stay there for however many hours they spend at the gym. Yeah, these guys typically don't do anything aside from pumping iron, which has always ticked me off because, one, you HAVE to have a balance of both cardio and weights, otherwise, you'll be looking very awkward when you're out of breath and dying whenever you try to race up stairs. And two, because they're ONLY ever at the weights section! there could be five weight portions at your gym, and they'll be the ones occupying all of them. You want to say something to them, but know that they would crush you if you so much as breathed in their direction.

2. The Valley Girl(s)-Otherwise known as the "cutie-pies" of the gym. These gals are the ones that think they're all that just because their butts fit in their yoga pants a little better than before. They have all of their gym supplies with them, bags, water bottles, towels, everything, that take up more space than necessary.These types can be found at any part of the gym, but some can commonly be found near the leg machines. Only thing is that they don't really work the machines...or anything for that matter, aside from their selfie sticks that is. Yeah, these types I find to be the most annoying because they're more concerned about how they look now, rather than how they'll look later, after they've put in some time and effort--which is what working out SHOULD be all about.

3. The Chatterbox-You ever been really into a workout, where your muscles are feeling a heavy burn that they haven't felt before, and some dud just comes up to you out of nowhere and decides this is the perfect time to talk your ear off? That's this guy, the chatterbox. These types are the ones loyal gym-goers need to avoid the most. If you so much as make eye contact with them, it's all over. These people are a lot like leeches, as soon as they make contact with you, it's very difficult to break away from them. They will hold you hostage for hours if they can help it. And don't even think about trying to multi-task and workout while they're talking. Oh no! That would take some of your attention away from them, so they'll physically put themselves between you and the machine you were trying to get on just so that won't happen.

4. The Sex Symbol-These people really worry me. Not because they're sick, or anything--it's always good to have confidence in your body--but because YOU'RE sick of THEM prancing arounf the gym like they're God's gift to mankind! Anywhere there's a mirror, these guys will be right in front of it, striking poses and staring at their butts. These people also have something of a superiority complex due to either their physiques, or how they THINK their physiques are. Don't come within five feet of these guys unless you want to be sized up, mocked and dismissed all in the same instance.

5. The Groupies-I know I said the Valley Girls were the ones that annoyed me the most, but these guys definitely come in close second. This group of people are Valley Girls and Chatterboxes combined. Not only is there an abundance of them that crowd any and every machine you want to get on, they're not even working them! They're just sitting down on them and talking to one another, as if they're at some friendly get together that's slow-paced and fun! Newsflash to these people: You're at a gym! You aren't here for slow pacing, and you aren't even here for fun! You're here to work, nothing more. If you want to talk to each other so bad, go do crossfit or something!

6. The Campers-These guys, oh my gosh. I'm getting angry just typing about them! If one of these people have claimed a machine, don't even TRY to wait for them to get off of it, because they won't. Campers, in a nutshell, like to do their workouts at a pace slower than a snail's. They'll do one set just fine, then they'll wait around for twenty or so minutes before doing the next set. Some of these guys actually wind up falling asleep on machines before finishing. I kid you not, I've seen it happen!

7. The Complainers-If you are, or have ever been, a fitness coach, this one is for you especially. When you have a workout partner, make sure they're willing ones before you get to the gym. Otherwise, you're in for a long workout session. These people will whine, kick, scream and shout at least a dozen times before they so much as look at a weight or exercise. Then, when they finally do decide to take the weight, they complain the whole time. All you wanted was to pump iron and get gains. You didn't come all the way down here for this crap. So if you ever find yourself in the presence of a complainer, either send them home, or find a way to shut them up and do what they came there to do.

8. The Resolution-er-It's either a hit or miss for these guy. On one hand, some actually do end up going to the gym and wind up sticking with it--I'm one of them. But on the other, there are the ones that say they're going to go to the gym, but only stay a couple of minutes before quitting and heading back home. If these peoples's actions aren't the biggest slaps in the the face to those that actually go to the gym to change themselves, I don't know what is.

9. The Eater-When it comes to dieting, many, if not all, bodybuilders will tell you that it's just as important as working out. Which is why it's even more infuriating when you go to the gym and find someone taking up space on a machine eating a bag of potato chips. You've actually been doing pretty well with your diet, been eating lean meats, a balanced amount of veggies and carbs, then this joker pops up and blows it all to heck! They're even sharing the chips with people, like it's a normal thing, and all you want to do is slap the chips out of this guy's hand, crush them with your foot, and then do the exact same thing to the guy that was holding them. Now just know, people like these are very rare in a gym, but every now and then, you'll come across one and when you do, make sure you mess them up for pulling this crap! It's only fair!

10. The Screamer-Don't even think about trying to focus when you're next to this guy. Shoot, even THINKING when you're around him would be an impressive feat! There are two kinds of lifters in this world, those that know what they're doing and can control their breathing, and then there's those that are neither and just wind up drawing unwanted attention to themselves. I can't begin to tell you how many guys like this I've seen at my gym. They either have way too much weight or simple don't know how to shut up and breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. They're loud, obnoxious and overall not fun to be around. Avoid them if you can.

Now then, that pretty much sums it up. Were there any on my list that you've had to deal with as well, or are there some that I might have missed? If that's the case, please let me know and share your experiences so we can wallow in grief together!