"Sweetie are you sure your doing that right?"

Since when did the athletic ability give someone so much power?

46

Since when did athletic ability, measure the worth of a person? My run in with an on campus athlete shed some light on the athletes of a small college campus and the social hierarchy.

Recently, I had my own experience in the weight room at Wagner college, surrounded by athletes, can be intimidating to say the least. Well lets say things went from intimidating to just plain BULLSHIT.

On a Wednesday night last semester, I had been following a work out routine that encouraged 3 sets of 12 bicep curls. A part of the routine I'd been doing with my Barbie weights since I was three. About halfway through the second set an athlete on campus (clearly wearing his Wagner ******** shirt blatantly stepping in-front of the mirror blocking my line of vision ) approached me and said , and I quote " Sweetie are you sure your doing that right "? Don't get me wrong, I encourage advice from others, but the undermining tone and the name Sweetie… Are you serious?

Imagine the old fashioned cartoon Yosemite Same, when the flames and steam protrude out of his ears in full on anger. Well that was me

Lets just say my response to said pompous athlete was less than lady like.

Coming from a small town high school and college that gives athletes priority over non athletes, makes the other students look like second class citizens. Which makes me question is it the administration? Is it the athletes themselves? Is it a specific sport that encourages such entitlement? Is it just a select few of individuals? Is it due the fact that the school needs them to win titles and awards? Where does this “ God Complex” come from?

Heres the thing, I believe that the time, ability, physical and emotional dedication an athletes gives to their sport is admirable. But the egotistical attitude that follows in suite of SOME but not all athletes is unacceptable. Don't get me wrong, my best friends are athletes and some of the kindest people I have met are athletes at the collegiate level.

But we all know that one person who acts like they own the world and I just understand why? Just because one has a talent or ability, whatever it may be, doesn't mean one has any right to act superior to everyone else, part of being the best is being humble. Athletes constantly face new challenges, who knew, for some, being humble was one of them.

Be the person that faces each battle with humility, because “Sweetie”, no one likes a cocky athlete.