The Sweet Madness Lingering in America's Icebox.

There are various negative elements within our society that are deeply affecting the people of color and social structures.

13
Jean Michel Basquiat
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
- Martin Luther King Jr.

This highly meaningful quote strongly demonstrates that this hero had a huge impact within our culture, despite the negativity, racism and discrimination towards African-Americans and other individuals with different ethnicities in the past. However, while trying to juxtapose the meaningful quote to our society currently, it clearly displays that some members of society are trying very hard to drive out darkness with light.

But the darkness continues to linger.

Today in society, there's accumulation of discrimination, aversion and violence towards people of color, because of the strive for more blindness, ignorance and superiority. Some individuals within our society express discrimination, aversion and violence towards the people of color because of blindness. Social justice activist Bryan Stevenson strongly promulgates the "hard truths about America's Justice System."

For example, in the exposition of the video, he discusses how there's a "massive imbalance along racial lines." According to Stevenson's statistics, "fifty to sixty of young men of color are in prison." Due to these statistics, it clearly showcases that the human right, no unfair detainment is strongly abused. But it strongly demonstrates how these issues morph the US legal system. Also, Stevenson mentioned that the "system of justice in the USA treats you better if you are rich and guilty than if you are poor and innocent. In addition, he continues to elaborate on how "politics of fear and anger makes us believe that these problems are not our problem; we have been disconnected." Stevenson's intellectual perspectives on injustice in America is highly correct. For instance, as a young adult living in the present, I observe these particular quandaries every day. Everyday, there's predicaments involving with racism, discrimination, unequal distribution of fairness, respect and kindness throughout my environment and media such as television, newspapers, apps and etc. Prisons are becoming more of a dumping ground. Where's the vision? Where's the ambitious sound? Prison systems and the American Justice System are not making any progress to strengthen our social and political structure. Retain that. Recall that. Enough with the dehumanization! Why are we ceasing the possibilities of enhancing our society into something greater? Why are we trying to postpone the inevitable? We need to alleviate the lingering illness in our society with the prescription of ambition and positivity. It's time to make a difference. We give our vision to the blindness. Leaving ourselves to be uncultivated. Leaving ourselves to be less dexterous with protecting our own minds and surroundings. We wait till we began to lose our minds to run away. To escape from the reality we live in.

Because of ignorance, the nation displays discrimination, hate and violence towards the people of color. Some individuals of society tend to show stupidity and ignorance because of their dislike of one's ethnicity or culture. In particular, republican contender, Donald Trump discussed blacks and Hispanics in such an appalling way by tweeting. According to Bill O'Reilly, 80 percent of all the shooting in New York City are blacks, and if you add Hispanics that figure goes to 98 percent. One percent white. In addition, he also tweeted that, "The overwhelming amount of violent crime in our major cities is committed by blacks and Hispanics- a tough subject- must be discussed."

These two pieces of evidence bolsters the claim, because it strongly shows that Donald Trump is discriminating people of color through the social media for the whole world to see. He's really trying to use disgusting and negative propaganda, which really exhibits true ignorance. In the United States, individuals from a more diverse background are attending schools that have a more middle-class and Caucasian atmosphere. According to the source, Project MUSE, “Pre- service teachers expressed a sense of being ill-equipped to teach students from diverse backgrounds. This sentiment also included a fear of being rejected by parents of minority students." In addition, teachers also expressed that, "Asian parents push their kids to do well in schools. Blacks don't learn as well as white people. Why are we favoring a certain group, but not others. Since Hispanic parents don't value education, why bother tailoring instruction to meet their needs when they don't care?" The evidence invincibly represents that ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance is a negative element that conquers the souls of people of color, and manifests their souls into emptiness and dilapidation.

Currently, society continues to strongly bespeak discrimination, aversion, and violence towards the people of color, because of the strive for more superiority. As claimed by, Jamelle Bouie,(a staff writer for Slate Magazine where he discusses on history, public policy, racial inequality, and national politics) “the killings of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri and Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida made clear that one of the venerable flash points in race relations — the police (or in the case of Sanford, self-appointed police) killings of young black men — is very much still with us. Discriminatory police treatment of African-Americans remains one of the hardiest perennials in American life.” This piece of evidence strengthens the claim because the police officers who committed these crimes were white men. That alone shows they take advantage of the autonomy they possess due to their position in police workforce, and they take advantage of the color that appears on their skin. And that leads to possessing the desire to accumulate more superiority over African-Americans. In a similar case, Sandra Bland, an African-American woman, was pulled over for failing to signal lane change; however, the police officer began to verbally abuse Bland. When he told her to get out the vehicle, she got out, and the police officer put her in handcuffs, and forced her to the ground. In addition, NBC News stated she was taken to "the Waller County Jail, [where] Bland was booked for the third-degree felony and was placed alone in a cell that typically accommodates four inmates ... The last time a guard saw her alive was about 7 a.m. on Monday, July 13, when she said, 'I am good,' authorities said. Just before 8 a.m., she used an intercom to ask about using the phone. An hour later, a guard went to her cell to see if she wanted to get some exercise, and saw her hanging from a partition, a plastic trash can liner around her neck, authorities said. Medical workers were alerted, and guards tried to resuscitate her.”

This piece of evidence also supports the claim, because it shows how some police officers visualize and classify African-Americans as insignificant. It shows how some police officers don't display that they have the ability to let go of their pride, and they don't reflect on the predicaments that are occurring; they continue to strive for their desire to gain more authority, no matter what if the aftermath appears positive, or in this case negative. Furthermore, according to the website, Dosomething.org, “Studies show that police are more likely to pull over and frisk blacks or Latinos than whites. In New York City, 80 percent of the stops made were blacks and Latinos, and 85 percent of those people were frisked, compared to a mere 8 percent of white people stopped.” Also, even individuals within the political community such as one of the democratic contenders, Bernie Sanders realized how the police force abuse their power towards African-Americans. For instance, Bernie Sanders stated, "Many White people are not sensitive to the kind of abuse that African-Americans, especially younger African-Americans, receive at the hands of police officers and police departments, I think for most Whites their experience with the police has been good or neutral because they don’t interact with the police as much as those in the black community. Clearly if Sandra Bland, who was a middle-class black woman, had been a middle-class white woman, it is unlikely that the police would have treated her in the same way. "This shows that a white individual realizes that people working within the police field are only taking advantage of their power in order to receive more superiority.

We human beings are a part of liaisons that form astonishing and marvelous constellations. Displaying a breathtaking masterpiece; touching each other's hearts, making all of us feel newly alive. However, that's just an illusion, because our society is becoming more detached. Our masterpieces are becoming more austere. The canvas is decomposing upon our eyes. Society is "aware" of what's happening, but all society does is sigh. Children, people of all races, sexualities, etc. are dying. There's an accumulation of discrimination and violence. There's no peace. No silence. All we have to do is collaborate and be a part of this liberation. We have to have this desire to morph our society into something greater, in order to hear the pure silence. Also, hearing everyone's hearts beating in various and pulchritudinous patterns, and to feel the speed of time flying by. You can get a glimpse of someone's universe and to accept each other as human beings regardless of their idiosyncrasies. There's a chance to have the limelight shine once again, and finally, we can observe the constellations shine radiantly upon our night sky. We human beings need to fight against the physiological blind spot. Fight against the condensation in our minds. We need to find solutions to these problems. We need to stop pausing in perplexity. It's time to make differences. We only have each other. Let's liberate as one, and eradicate the discrimination, aversion, and violence towards people of color. But most importantly, to prevent the people of color from wearing a white mask.