Super Bowl LI(t): A Lesson Of Persistence In The #drivefor5

Brady may have the rings, but he's not the only GOAT.

12
Keyuree Satam

If you were like me and the millions of other Americans with their eyes glued to the TV on Sunday February 5th, what a game. I know most people were disappointed in the end results (and by most people I mean all of the US except the New England area) but it cannot be denied that the game was legendary. And that too it was all happening just a few blocks away from where I was watching.

If nothing else, the Super Bowl is just another excuse for America can throw a party, eat a lot of food, and sit on the couch all afternoon. Fanatics from rival teams are united to root for one of two teams who made it to the top of their divisions.

But this year, it was a little different.

The Patriots went into the game, assuming to come out as champions. So you can imagine everyone’s surprise/shock when there was a 28-3 led by the Falcons. I’ve been a Patriots fan for many years now, and even I was starting to lose hope. I was getting frustrated, losing my voice yelling at the screen. Sack after sack as the Falcons were making their first downs and scoring touchdowns like there was no defense stopping them.

Now, not too surprisingly, this game started becoming a metaphor for my life; and I’m sure other people can relate. You go into a project, a job, a semester, whatever new endeavor it may be and you’re feeling good. You’re ready to take on the challenge and come out victorious. And yet you find yourself struggling, barely able to keep up. You’re trying your hardest to make the passes connect or to block the play, but all efforts are wasted. You still end up tired and exhausted, but not with the results you want.

At this point, you can very easily throw in the towel and call it quits. The pain is just not worth it anymore. And quite frankly, the Patriots could have done that exact same thing. Most of the nation was rooting for the Falcons anyway, and they deserved a Super Bowl win more than the Patriots. I mean, Brady is practically running out of fingers for the rings.

And yet, they came back from this deficient not only to tie the game and take it into overtime; they ran with it all the way to a championship and to make history. I promise this piece isn’t just a “yay Patriots’ are the best” article; there are more than enough of those. I guess what I’m trying to say is just be persistent, and don’t throw in the towel quite yet. You may not have a big bonus or a shiny trophy or a big parade for you at the end, but you’ll have your own self pride and self-confident, which is better than a ring no matter how many jewels it’s got.

So if the game was heart-wrenching or heart-warming, there is a lesson to be learned. Be your own GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) and who knows where you’ll end up.