If You're Not Social Distancing Just For IG Likes, You're The Problem

If you find yourself hanging out with multiple people or different people every day and you still find it okay to post on social media, you are the problem.

163

This pandemic is bringing out the best and the worst in people. From bulk buying and mass hysteria in the stores to large gatherings at the beach, some people seem to want to cause more problems than providing solutions. The biggest problem my generation is facing is social distancing and actively practicing it.

Let's go over what social distancing is one last time. Social distancing is "deliberately increasing the physical space between people to avoid spreading illness." Working from home if possible, keeping a distance of six feet while in public, and avoiding large gatherings are fantastic ways to practice social distancing.

So, I'll say it louder for the people still out and about with friends at house parties: Social distancing is staying home and staying six (6) feet apart from other people.

It's always upsetting to see people not giving a f*ck about other people's safety and well-being, but it's even worse to see it being done by your own friends, family, and peers. Hop on to Instagram and you'll see absolutely tone-deaf captions like "#socialdistancing" where people are smushed together at bars or house parties or hanging out on boats in the ocean in large groups.

Check your Snapchat and you'll catch a few of your friends posting snaps of them in large groups at houses or at the beach, not keeping their distance. The worst was during Spring Break when many college students flocked to Miami and Clearwater to join in the debauchery and ignore every and all warnings that keeping a six-foot distance from others and avoiding large groups would be helping to flatten the curve and slowing the spread of the virus.

I know it's hard being cooped up at home all day and it can be extremely boring, but if you're still hanging out with people and ignoring the deaths and the fact that you are risking your life and the lives of those around you, you are the problem.

Stop posting Snaps of you with your friends with the Social Distancing filters. Stop posting IG stories of you with your friends with captions like "What's more contagious than a smile?" (looking at you, Hannah B). Help flatten the curve and slow the spread of the virus, and we'll be able to get back to our normal lives soon enough.