​Stop Blaming Kevin Durant For Doing The Right Thing

From a guy who's not a GSW fan.

44
GQ

NBA superstar Kevin Durant has been taking hits since July 4 when he announced that he would be leaving Oklahoma city to join the Golden State Warriors online. All of a sudden, players, former players, coaches, media and fans started to blame KD for his behavior. Many people claimed what he did was an action of cowardice. Some people even said that his behavior discouraged the development of the NBA. He was accused of cheating to get a title, and soon became the enemy of the entire league (except the Bay Area) over night.

Personally, however, I think everyone should just chill out. Just to be clear, I am not a Warriors fan. I do enjoy watching them play sometimes, but they are definitely not my favorite team. I believe that there is nothing wrong with KD’s decision. Here is why. Kevin Durant played for the Oklahoma city Thunder for nine years, and for a player of his caliber, not being able to get a championship for all this time is suffering. He wants a championship, and he wants it so bad that he can choose to ignore everyone else’s opinion. Lebron James had done a similar thing, and so did Kevin Garnet, Ray Allen, Kevin Love, and tons of other players. If it wasn’t for the shut down of the trade across the legue, Chris Paul may have played alongside Kobe Bryant and got god knows how many rings. It was normal for a person to persue what he or she wanted. In his case, KD didn’t do anything illegal, so why can’t he pursue what he wants?

Second of all, KD choosing GSW was not a sign of surrender. I think the reason a lot of people opposed him was because he joined the very team that beat him the previous season in the Western Conference Final. Think about this, if you were offered a job that would fit you much better than your current job, and the position might help you to get closer to the title you have been pursuing for years, would you take the offer? I think the answer is yes. But the catch is that this company has beaten your current company in a long time market rivalry last year. Would this change your decision? Most people wouldn’t care. The defeat KD got from the Warriors last season was not the defining factor in his decision. He told the media that he chose the Warriors because he loved the atmosphere within the team. “They were practically holding hands.” Is what KD said when he described Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green at the pitch meeting. Chemistry like that can really attract players, after all, everyone wants to play in an organization where teammates look out for each other.

Last, people are asking too much from KD. The point is that Kevin Durant did not have a responsibility to the organization he played for once the contract ends. Although he was the biggest star and the face of the team, he was only an employee. Do you want to be deprived of your choice to switch jobs just because you are the best employee in your current company? He does not owe the Thunders anything. If you ask me, I would say that Kevin Durant has already done enough for Oklahoma city. Even though he didn’t win the city a championship, he did lead the team to the final the first time since 1979 and left the fans countless great memories. So maybe it’s time for him to get what he really wants.

It was only another trade, and it did not mean that other team won’t have a chance at the championship. So as I said, chill out and see how everything plays out.