Spring break as a softball player versus spring break for everyone else

For a softball player, "spring break" has a much different meaning

81
TIG Sports

When kids in college hear the words “spring break”, they instantly think of drinks, beach parties, late nights and bikinins on the beach. The movies ‘Spring Breakers’ or ‘22 Jump Street’ come to mind, glamorizing this week as “the best time in college”. But as a softball player, those words have a completely different meaning. Yes, most college softball players get to go to warmer places for spring break, but it is no vacation. It is not glamorous or party filled. Instead, countless hours of this week are spent at the softball complex. Softball players fry in the sun and play competitively the first time all year.

The sun is not something that the softball players are excited about when it comes out. It causes outfielders to struggle seeing fly balls, and creates even worse tan lines. A softball tan is probably the worst tan in all sports. Unlike the beautiful bikini tans that most college students get, instead these girls get a raccoon and farmers tan. Even the names of those tan lines are ugly.

There are no beach parties for these softball players, and instead a majority of our time is spent on dirt instead. This is where countless scratches and bruises come from. It is no soft sand; it is hard & rocky dirt that will hurt you.

You also are spending this trip playing ¼ of your season’s games. This is where you get your regional points, and where you define how the rest of your season is going to go. Starters are determined here, stats are begun, and this is the reputation that your team is going to hold for the rest of the season. These spring break games are critical, so while everyone else is having the time of their lives, these softball players are putting in work.

Yes, sometimes it is sad watching your friends snapchat stories of their amazing vacations. But also, you are spending your spring break doing something that you have loved since you were a little girl. The best part is you get to spend all this time with your best friends. Spring break for softball players is the time were the most team bonding is done. Living with your teammates in hotels or houses for a week creates some of the best memories you will have in college, and ones that you will actually remember. You may be jealous of other student's spring breaks, but there are thousands of young softball players who are jealous of yours. Remember that & enjoy every second of it.