Staying Safe In Hazardous Sports

Staying Safe In Hazardous Sports

Advice from trainers and athletes about avoiding serious injuries and long-term problems.

13
Staying Safe In Hazardous Sports
Kara Montgomery

While keeping football players safe on the field during games and during practices while outside in the heat is a very important job for coaches.

Athletic Trainer at Whiteland Community High School Travis Smarelli discussed how he prevents dehydration and heat exhaustion.

“… We have specific practice recommendations based on the heat index. The recommendations include changing practice time, increasing water breaks and reducing the amount of padding the football team wears,” Smarelli said.

Athletic Director at Whiteland Community High School Ken Sears explained more specific details on what coaches and trainers have to do to make sure football players stay safe.

“We now require all of our coaches to take a heat illness class, through the national federation of high schools, which helps them understand. We also have two full-time trainers…part of their responsibilities are to watch for the humidity and the heat and to make sure we’re getting enough water to our players…” Sears said.

Smarelli explained how the football players’ uniforms protect the players during tackles.

“… Covering the most commonly affected areas when it comes to impact injuries in football,” Smarelli said.

Sears discussed what type of equipment we buy for our football players to protect them.

“We buy the best gear out there for our players. Whether it is helmets and shoulder pads for football. The biggest thing is teaching the kids how to not hit with their head ...” Sears said.

Sears explained the major differences he has noticed since he played in high school compared to modern day players.

“Concussions are the big thing … Back in my day if you got hit pretty hard they told you to go sit on the bench for a minute and get your thoughts together and get back in there. They didn’t worry about concussions. They didn’t worry about ACL injuries … You just thought you hurt your knee or you didn’t ... We might have a coach that knew how to tape but we never had a doctor around. So it’s changed … even since I’ve been coaching which was only 10 years ago. It’s changed a lot in protocol and medical care …” Sears said.

Smarelli explained the actions they take to protect players at home and away games.

“We have specific emergency action plans… We have an ambulance available in case we need to transport an injured athlete quickly. I travel to the away football games and meet with the other Athletic Trainer at that school and go over how we will handle serious injuries,” Smarelli said.

One instance of a player getting hurt during football practice would be sophomore varsity player at Whiteland Community High School Ryan Hammond. Hammond gave advice to other players.

“Stay hydrated and be careful with your movements,” Hammond said.

Most people attending a football game don’t think about any of the injuries are that serious and we don’t realize how much time the coaches and trainers put into making sure our players are safe until now.