What Is Self Care And Why Is It Important?

Take care of yourself and treat yourself with compassion.

13

Self-care is a fairly easy concept to understand, taking care of your own well-being, physically and mentally, but few people regularly practice it. It's the busy season of finals and the holidays and this time of year can be incredibly stressful. There is always so much to get done and it isn't uncommon to put our work or classes or loved ones before ourselves. While this can be a good thing, more often than not it leaves us running on fumes and that can be damaging mentally and physically. Taking out time in a busy schedule can make all the difference and help to hold everything together.

Stress can actually cause your body physical problems. Some potential effects of stress are headaches, muscle fatigue, sleep problems, chest pains and weight gain or loss. The physical side effects will only cause more stress and will start to impact your routine. Taking time out to handle stress will help your body and help you to stay on top of things. Exercise can do wonders when you need to alleviate anxious energy and will channel your stress into a positive outlet that will only benefit your body. While it can be an intense workout, something as simple as taking a walk outside will give you a breather and help to stimulate creativity again. On the flip side, sleep is very important to keeping your body running. Creating a sleep schedule and sticking to it will benefit you in the long run. Also, naps are never a bad idea. Eating well is another positive habit you can maintain when promoting self-care. This will keep your body fueled ad ready to handle whatever you need to get done. Avoiding caffeine, sugar and alcohol can all be good choices as they can add to feelings of anxiety.

Self-care means taking care of your mental health as well as physical. Daily stress can take a serious toll on your outlook and if you don't take the time to rest and be gentle with yourself things can start to go off the rails. Keeping your loved ones close can really help in times like this. You can vent to them or just feel their support. They will be able to offer you an outsider's insight on whatever is troubling you but will still come from a place of love. It will feel very easy to push people away in times of stress but remember to make time to spend with them. Taking alone time to just be with yourself is also helpful. Have some quiet time doing something mindless you enjoy. It's okay to have a moment dedicated to something silly because it's helping you to collect your thoughts and take care of yourself. Give yourself permission to relax. Getting your thoughts out in some positive way is also a great outlet. If creativity is your thing then put your feelings into your art, whatever that is. If not, good old writing will still help you to feel like you have gotten all of the negativity out onto paper or screen. It doesn't need to be deep or pretty, just record what you feel. Self-care can be a lot more basic, remembering to shower, eat and sleep might seem like they are a given but sometimes they can be small victories. When struggling with things a little deeper than normal stress, like mental illness or trauma, taking care of your basic needs can feel like a chore. Give yourself credit for all the ways you look out for yourself, big and small.

Remember, you only have one body, only one mind. Take care of yourself and treat yourself with compassion. Self-care isn't mumbo jumbo, it's a pattern of choices that will lead to health and a happier way of life. You have to take care of you before you can deal with any of your other obligations properly, so put your well being first.