22 Ways To Practice Self-Care In 2018 That Are NOT Bubble Baths And Face Masks

There's more out there than you think.

147766
Flickr Creative Commons

When it comes to self-care, it's some important to know how to do it.

Many people think that self-care mostly consists of doing face masks at home or taking bubble baths. Those have been the biggest self-care trends of 2017. However, as we move into 2018, we should be practicing more ways of self-care that are essential to our overall health, mentally, physically, and emotionally.

If you're struggling with to come up with other practices of self-care here are some to try out:

1. Going on a bike ride

There's something very relaxing about riding a bike on a quiet trail. Not only are you getting some peace and quiet, but you're also getting a pretty good booty workout!

2. Going on a hike

I personally prefer a hike than a bike ride. Only because hiking allows for so many more opportunities for beautiful views and off trail adventures. Being surrounded by such gorgeous views of the mountains and nature also offers a great peace of mind.

3. Girls nights

These are imperative to a woman's life. Without our girlfriends, I feel like we wouldn't have much. Yes, family is always there for you, but, sometimes it's nice to have people we can be a little rowdy with and tell all our secrets to. People outside of your family who love and accept you for you. They never judge you.

4. Drinking lots of water

Drinking water will leave you will clearer skin, more energy, detoxes you of all gross stuff we put into our bodies, relieves headaches, helps prevents cramps and sprains, the list goes on and on. It just overall makes you feel good.

5. Journaling

Keeping a journal to write down your thoughts and emotions, or even just writing about your day is a great way to keep your mental health in check. If you can't talk to someone or just want to express your creativity, journal it and write it down!

6. Getting a good night's sleep

Now, I know it's not always easy getting a good night's sleep every night. However, it's important to try and shoot for maybe 3-4 nights a week where you really try to get a great night's sleep. Sleeping is a crucial component to our physical and mental health, we can't miss too much of it.

7. Family time

Family time is just as, if not more, important than girl's nights. Having a close relationship with your family, especially your parents and siblings will be your lifeline. Family will always have your back.

8. Eating right

Just like water, eating right will give you more energy and make you feel fantastic.

9. Go shopping

It's okay to spend a little money yourself every once in a while. You work hard for it, why not go get that pair of boots you've been dying to have? You deserve it.

10. Pamper yourself

If you'd rather get your hair or nails done, or both, instead of getting those new boots, do it. You deserve it even more. Or better yet, do all three!

11. Spontaneous adventures

We all need a little excitement in our lives. Keep yourself on your toes and make life interesting and fun with spontaneity and adventures.

12. Meditation/yoga

I can't think of anything more soothing and relaxing than meditating and doing some yoga. These are great ways to release stress and pain. Yoga is a great way to also stay in shape and keep your physical health on the right path and meditation is great way to keep your mental health on board.

13. Reading

If you like to read, then it's a great and healthy way to escape into a new world for a little bit. It also makes you wiser.

14. Pinterest

I mean, who doesn't love looking up fun DIY decor and clothes for hours???? Or look for their next nail design?

15. Setting achievable goals

By setting achievable goals a little at a time, it will allow you to put your energy into the important stuff and overwhelm and stress yourself out. It'll also make you feel proud every time you accomplish one.

16. Go get a massage or spa

We all work hard enough to deserve a spa day or a professional massage.

17. Eat dark chocolate

Dark chocolate is an antioxidant rich superfood that helps improve cholesterol and betters your cognitive function.

18. Go to the gym

Feel the burn, feel good. Getting yourself active for at least 30 minutes a day will improve your overall health and will also make you feel good as working out releases endorphins and serotonin.

19. Go to a sauna

Open up those pores and feel like a new woman.

20. Organizing your planner

Having an organized planner will make you life easier and less stressful.

21. Cleaning your house

Having a clean house and trying to maintain it 24/7 isn't always achievable, but, if you just remember to clean up after yourself in common areas and pick up your room every couple of days, you'll feel somewhat put together and not as overwhelmed when time for a deep cleaning.

22. Take yourself on a date

I am all for women going into restaurants and simply having a nice a meal by themselves. We don't always need man or a family member to take us out in order to have a nice dinner every once in while. If you're in the mood for the steak dinner, go get that steak dinner.