Say "I Love You" At The End Of Every Phone Call With Your Folks. Trust Me.

It's time to put on your big-kid pants.

88
Unsplash

A few years ago, I started this routine at the end of calling either of my parents or two younger sisters. It quickly spread to conversations with most of my friends and extended family members. It's a personal rule now that I will always say "OK, I love you, bye," before I hang up. There's a few very important reasons for this:

1. You'd be devastated if something happened and the last thing you said was something tedious like "don't forget the bananas," or even worse, mean or angry.

2. It's an act of love to make sure you let people know how much they matter to you. Even if you're angry at them, even if you're frustrated or bored or sad or whatever. It's a moment to put your feelings aside and realign your priorities.

This habit of mine is just a little thing (among lots of other little and big things) that I should do often and genuinely as a good daughter, sister, and friend. Maybe it's something you could try, if you're up for it. Or something else that would work for you.