To Anyone Who Wants Marathons All Over The World

These are undoubtedly the coolest marathons you'll ever get to run.

244
Albatros Adventure Marathons

If you're like me, you love a good adventure run.

You're always down to go out and explore new running trails, and you love to sign up for cool races. I've been doing some race research lately, and I found a few races taking place all over the world. Not only are these races in extremely beautiful lands, but they are full of culture as well (not to mention how great of a story these would make if you ran them).

1. The Polar Circle Marathon

This one has the option of a full marathon (26.2 miles) or a half marathon (13.1 miles). It takes place in October, and you have the opportunity to run on the polar fields of Greenland. The Polar Circle official website describes it as follows:

"Ice as far as the eye beholds. Impossibly beautiful, blue skies. Incredibly fresh air. Musk oxen and arctic foxes on the stark landscape of the arctic tundra.

Yes, we are in one of the most remote corners of the world: Greenland. Feel the soft crunch of snow beneath your shoes while running through the arctic desert and Greenland ice cap and immerse yourself in this rare and exceptional natural beauty.

This will undoubtedly be the coolest experience of your life.

A part of the route takes place on the ice sheet itself, but the main part of the course is run on the gravel road (often snow covered) that connects the ice sheet with the small township of Kangerlussuaq, just north of the Polar Circle."

2. Bagan Temple Marathon

This one takes place in the Southeastern country of Myanmar, and the options are a marathon, half marathon, or 10k (6.2 miles). The route goes through temples and pagodas -- an abundance of culture. The routes are described here:

"The Bagan Temple Marathon starts and finishes at Htilominlo Temple, built in 1211 and known for its fine plaster carvings.

The first part of the route is the same for full and half marathon runners. And the last section starting at approximately 13km for the half marathoners and 35km for the marathon runners, the route converges.

After the start, the first 5km are run on dirt roads through the plains of Bagan towards Old Bagan. Runners will be treated to magnificent views of thousand-year-old temples and pagodas.

The course continues on asphalt for about 1km before hitting the dirt road again as runners carry on across Bagan. The next 5km are on dirt roads.

10K runners follow the same route as the full and half marathons until the course reaches Old Bagan where they turn back to Htilominlo Temple and the finish line.

As you reach the 11km mark and the water station there, you pass the Dhammayazika Pagoda. At this point, the full and half marathon runners part ways."

3. SeaWheeze Vancouver

This half marathon is located in Vancouver. Not only do you get to run, you get to do yoga as well! SeaWheeze involves a Sunset Festival that promotes an active lifestyle, so it's only natural that they offer all sorts of group exercise -- along with live music and great food.

"This year, we’ve got one hell of a party lined up. To start, bliss out in the sun with a pre-concert yoga practice led by the incredible Goldie Graham. Then get ready to dance all night to the tunes of Young the Giant with guests Cold War Kids (we suggest bringing your best moves). We’re also excited to bring back our SeaWheeze Sunset Festival exclusive gear, in a bigger store than ever before! And don’t miss out on the artisan market featuring local vendors, gourmet grab-and-go food, and our official SeaWheeze 2017 thirst-quencher: Obligatory Victory Beer."

4. Polar Night Half Marathon

This one's another "polar" run. It's held in Norway, in the city of Tromsø. The options here are half marathon, 10k, and 5k (3.1 miles). The hook of this one is that during this time of year (January) in Norway, the sun never rises above the horizon. You run in the snow, in the dark.

"Almost 1700 participants, and among these almost 700 foreign runners from 46 nations who had made their way to the high north to experience the polar night and running in arctic conditions. The ones who had traveled to Tromsø for this event were excited about running in wintry conditions with snow, wind and icy ground. The "traditional" discussion about whether to run with or without spikes, was the big topic before the start at the town square."

5. Petra Desert Marathon

Located in the Petra Desert in the country of Jordan, this race can either be the marathon or the half marathon. It's a very great choice for people who want to see the rich history of the country while they run.

"From the start line in the Street of Facades, the route goes through the ancient city of Petra and right away you will find yourself surrounded with tombs, caves and monasteries carved in the mountainsides.

A 2km uphill section on paved road leads runners out of the Petra Archaeological Park boundaries and via the main road towards the desert on hilly tarmac road.

After 6 kilometres, the route leaves the asphalt road and continues into the desert. Half marathon runners take the direct way to the river bed gorge “Siq Al Bard” while marathon runners have to do a loop around the hill top “Al Musirh”. Leaving Siq al Bard at Little Petra, the route is back on the tarmac road heading towards the village of Ammarine

Just before the village half marathon runners continue straight through the village while marathon runners turn left on the road leading to Wadi Araba to do a 8km back tracking stretch running past incredible rock formations that only few tourists visit.

When passing the 30km mark, full marathon runners find themselves back at Ammarine village and merge again with the half marathon course. From here, the route goes uphill to a mountain ridge for the next 5 kilometres, but the strenuous efforts are rewarded with an astonishing view over most of the marathon route, the mountains covering Petra and on clear days even Israel can be seen. On this mountain ridge the surface becomes gravel for the next 3 kilometres.

The final 4 kilometres are steep downhill running on paved roads towards the finish line."

6. The Big Five Marathon

This one is on the beautiful African Safari, in South Africa. Once again, the options are marathon and half marathon length, and you'll see the natural habitats of African wildlife.

"The start and finish line are situated at Lakeside Lodge on the upper escarpment. After the start, the marathon and half marathon routes take the runners past Ravineside Lodge, the Entabeni Monolith and further on to the lower plateau. This first section is run on dirt roads made up of red sand. Runners will pass a few hills (nothing too bad…the worst is yet to come!). And when you reach Hanglip View Point, you backtrack and run back before you reach Yellow Wood Valley. Pay attention to this section as the surface is very uneven with loose rocks, pebbles and holes.

The Yellow Wood Valley is the most dreaded part of the course. You are about to run down the steepest slope of your life! This sharp descent is on a paved surface. The next three kilometres or so will be excruciatingly hard on your quads as you negotiate the steep slope. You reach lion country after the descent. And, although the next nine kilometres are flat, you’re running through deep sand. Full marathoners do a 9km loop, whereas half marathon runners run a 2km loop."

7. Great Wall Marathon

Happy running!