Rio Victories Helps Take Strives Toward Equality

Making history one gold medal at a time

2

As the United States continues to lead the Rio Olympics in medal count at 60 medals with 24 of them being gold, two of them have helped to make strives during equality.

Simone Manuel made history when she became the first black woman in the Olympics to ever earn an individual swimming gold medal. Of course, winning a gold medal is a big deal to an Olympian, but for Manuel and her sport, its one for the history books. African Americans have always had a less than equal opportunity in the pool dating back to when the first pool was installed. Even though Manuel may not have been thinking about making history as she swam her way to gold in the Women's 100m freestyle final, her gold will begin to set shape the past for future African American swimmers.

Not only has history been made in the pool, but it's making its mark on the balance beam too. Simone Biles was faced with a racist comment in world championships in 2013 by a fellow Italian competitor who stated to her teammate, "That they should paint themselves black next time to stand a chance of winning." Of course Biles took the high road and didn't let it bother her, but with her win in all around at Rio, people were quick to bring up the past. As Ferlito has apologized for her old remarks, it still shows just how unequal even a big event like the Olympics can be, but it's becoming motivation for athletes alike as they continue to bring home the gold and make not only their country proud but also their heritage.

Hopefully by the 2020 Olympics, all events will be equal no matter the race or gender, but only the participants and fans can help strive for equality by representing their country and being humble no matter the outcome.