The Blank Vogue Italia Cover Represents The Fresh Start ALL Of Us Need Post-COVID
News

It is respect. It is safe. It is light. It is unity. It is hope.

20
2ae7481cf67b04dbcc794a6cdfb0af78bb-vogue-italia-cover.rvertical.w600
Instagram @vogueitalia

At a time where the coronavirus has devastated Italy, Vogue Italia decided to scrap the issue they had been planning and started over. For the first time in history, Vogue Italia printed a blank white cover for its April edition. Editor Emanuele Farneti acknowledged this decision in an Editor's note: "Vogue has come through wars, crises, acts of terrorism. It's noblest tradition is never to look the other way." In the name of continuing this noble tradition, Vogue Italia has given us hope for a brighter future through this historic and symbolic decision.

Why white?

Farneti stated: "The decision to print a completely white cover for the first time in our history is not because there was any lack of images- quite the opposite." In a time where the world is at the mercy of a virus moving so quickly yet holding all of us on pause, there is an eery uncertainty. So, why white? White is clean, it is pure and it is safe. White is a color of respect for the brave medical professionals working countless hours, putting their wellbeing at risk to protect ours. White represents hope in this time of despair. It is the light that shines through the dark. White is unity and the assurance of a promising future. It is creativity to start writing on a blank sheet; countless possibilities. White is knowing you're not alone. We will get through this, together.

Editor Emanuele Farneti ended his note with these words of encouragement. "Above all: white is not surrender, but a blank sheet waiting to be written, the title page of a new story that is about to begin." We must find light in the dark and trust in each other. We must not surrender and know that their is hope for the future, where we can all write on a blank page. If nothing else, know that you are not alone in this time of uncertainty and change.