Response to France Lifting Burkini Ban

Response to France Lifting Burkini Ban

A Step in the right direction

17
Response to France Lifting Burkini Ban
reason.com

Last week, France had issued a ban on burkini. This Friday, they suspended their decision. A burkini is a modest swimsuit that Muslims where to the beach and pools as it allows them to stay covered while enjoying the water. The police officers claimed they were doing their jobs, in the city of Nice when they surrounded a woman and forced her to take off parts of her clothing. While some saw this as an act of humiliation and degradation, others thought that the city officials had every right to do that. France is split over the burkini ban, as some cities still enforce it while others, like Nice removed the ban. France's previous president said that he wished to issue a countrywide ban on the Islamic swimsuit and others in government agreed. The reason for this being that the dress "did not agree with their idea of secularism (CNN)."

These bans were in response to the prior terror attack at Nice when a truck driver drove into a group of people and killed eighty. This ban was never about secularism in France, but an excuse to make the government seem as if they are actively fighting against terrorism, when all they are doing is eliminating a dress form. Dress is external, people can see the difference. When people are dressed the same, it gives the impression that they think the same as well. A burkini does not conform with the norm in France, and so it had to be removed, otherwise the woman wearing it would recive a fine for up to fourty eight dollars or thiry eight euros.

The suspension of this ban is a relief for Muslim women as it allows them to not face a fine, but there is no telling how countries and cities that have enacted this ban will react. This is a step forward as more than fifteen French towns have banned the burkini. The statement by French Prime Minister, Manual Valls does not help the cause much when he says that he supports burkini bans (CNN), while Sara Silvestri says that these bans are more ammunition for terrorist groups. Burkini bans marginalize and discriminate against Muslim women, which can lead to violent and aggressive behavior by terrorist groups as it gives them more incentive to commit terror attacks.

The main issue that had these bans rise in the first place is the lack of interfaith dialogue in France, among other western countries. Governments should be helping people integrate into society rather than ostracizing them for not "fitting in" to the society's standards as it will allow people to not see one group as an "other". But as this is not the case, bans are becoming more and more common as fear drives people to take extreme measures. Te uplifting of this ban is a sign that France is not about to make the same mistake twice, and that they have acknowledged that the world is watching them.

The overture of this ban is partly due to the amount of support Muslim women received for wearing a burkini, and also partly because a video recently went viral that sparked rage. Social media created an outcry against the burkini ban, until France decided to lift the ban. While there is still controversy over the legality of this ban, it is a small victory for all Muslims and non-Muslims alike as it is a forward step in a less male dominated society, where women are free to wear what they please.