22 Reasons To Date Your Best Friend
relationships

22 Reasons To Date Your Best Friend

The concept of dating your best friend is understandably controversial and absolutely comes with a risk, but the good news is that it's worth it.

3940
https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2018/09/10/11/43/hand-3666866_1280.jpg

Have you developed feelings for your best friend? That may scare you at first; you're probably worried about all of the common fears, such as, "What if they don't feel the same way and our friendship is ruined?" I'm here to let you know that going out with your best friend is so worth it, and I would never want it any other way.

1. They already know you and love you.

You won't have to worry about that awkward phase in the beginning. Sure, it might be a bit strange for your friend to suddenly be your partner in the beginning, but for the most part, you're already comfortable with each other and definitely already love each other.

2. You have history.

Whether they are a childhood friend or someone you've only known for a few months, you two certainly already have a history together. No need to have anxiety about when to tell each other's secrets or wondering whether or not you can trust each other. You've known each other for some time; it will make everything more relaxed.

3. You already know how to work out problems.

Obviously, couples and friends have different problems for the most part, and you might still struggle with the couple-type of problems. But the fact of the matter is that you already know how to compromise and forgive each other if you fight or if something goes wrong.

4. You trust each other.

Friendships take trust. If you two have been friends for some time, then presumably you can already trust each other with a lot of things.

5. You love talking to them.

No first date awkwardness or anxiety here! You already know each other's passions and shared interests, and you talk to each other a lot. You won't have to struggle to find conversation starters or suffer through small talk.

6. They're one of your #1 supporters.

Newsflash: If your significant other doesn't support you, they're not worth it. Luckily, if you date your best friend, it's a given that you'll always have each other's backs.

7. You understand each other so well.

You understand each other's boundaries, insecurities, and ways of thinking. You won't have to try to explain yourself or feel embarrassed trying to explain something to them.

8. You're always there for one another.

You don't have to stress about whether or not your new partner will support you and be there to offer advice when you're feeling down; you already know that they will.

9. You (probably) already know their family and other friends.

No weird "meeting the family" situations or stress over whether or not you'll get along with your sweetheart's friend group. Their friends and family already know you, and probably already like you, too!

10. You've learned how to handle time apart.

Distance sucks, but all friends have to deal with it at some point, and so do all romantic couples as well. You and your friend have had plenty of "practice" time apart, and you know how to cope, so when your friend becomes your significant other, you already know how to handle it.

11. You're comfortable with one another.

You feel safe with this person and you know that they're not going to judge you. You can talk to them about anything, and they can do the same for you.

12. You respect one another.

Almost everyone has had a partner that didn't respect them, but you won't have to worry about that if you date your best friend!

13. Technically, you've already been on dates.

You've already been to the movies, been out to eat, gone to the park, or done at least something with your friends that you'd do with a lover. Sure, you probably haven't done any sappy romantic things with any of your friends, but at least you've done something.

14. You can be yourselves.

At the beginning of relationships especially, a lot of people worry about making impressions, and we wonder if we can really be ourselves. You and your friend already know and love each other for your true authentic selves, so there's no need to worry.

15. You love spending time together.

It's unlikely that you'll get tired of going out or hanging out with your significant other if you're also best friends with them.

16. You're comfortable sharing a space, most likely.

Maybe you've never been roommates with your best friend, but you've probably stayed at each other's houses before and maybe even been on vacation together. Either way, you already have somewhat of an idea what it's like to be around each other.

17. You have all of the benefits of a best friend AND a romantic partner rolled into one.

There are some things we can do with a best friend but not a s/o, and some things we can do with a s/o but not a best friend...unless you have someone who is both, in which case it's the best of both worlds.

18. If your relationship goes sour, you WILL be able to remain close.

Now, obviously, if someone cheats or becomes abusive, that's an entirely different situation. But we're talking about your best friend here, so let's be optimistic and realistic.

A lot of people fear to date their friends in case someone falls out of love or ends up loving someone else more. But the fact is most of the time, these problems are survivable. Will it hurt and be awkward in the beginning? Yes, absolutely. But you'll always have friendly feelings for this person, even if the romantic feelings fade. It may take a while to return to normalcy, but with effort, it can and will happen.

19. If your relationship remains sweet, you'll have the perfect marriage.

On a more positive point, if you two truly do stay together forever, you'll absolutely be relationship goals.

20. You know each others' pasts.

You know where each other's previous relationships went wrong. You know where they went right. You know about the times when they struggled and when they triumphed.

21. You have inside jokes.

There's nothing better than sharing a laugh with the person you're dating, and it's especially great when you can go into the relationship already having that.

22. It is so, so, worth any "risk."

It's totally understandable for you to worry about what may go wrong, but don't focus on that. Focus on all of the positive things that I mentioned. It really is worth taking the chance.