5 Reasons To Remain Single In College

5 Reasons To Remain Single In College

Here's why college is the perfect time for you to be single... and stay that way.

554
5 Reasons To Remain Single In College
Photo by Helena Lopes from Pexels

I am having the best summer of my life: balancing three jobs that I love, taking care of my mind and body, and living with my best friend. And I'm single! And I used to hate that, but it's actually been the best thing for me. My confidence is at an all-time high and so I actually just deleted my Tinder account; it was just an ego boost- something that I don't need now that I am taking proper care of myself and am surrounded by friends and family who love me. So here's why you should live it up in college unattached:

1. Develop your identity

Let's face it: college is the perfect time for self-discovery. How are you supposed to do that when you are attached to someone else who ALSO does not know who they are? Bad news.

2. Seize opportunity

Focus on you. Be a better friend, develop a new skill or hobby, travel at the drop of a hat, take that internship across the country. Don't let another person keep you tethered to what is safe and comfortable- it's time to grow and change.

3. What's the hurry?

You are young! Take advantage of this time in college to take school seriously; work hard (play hard) but get your degree. You have time to meet the right person later when you are more established and ready to take that next step if that is what you want. (Because if work is your true love, I'm here to tell you that's okay and love your passions with all you got.

4. Relationships are stressful

Emotional rollercoasters are bad for your complexion. If you are like me, you are a pushover in relationships and it's almost impossible to say no- this means staying out later than you should, shirking responsibilities, and putting someone else's wellbeing before your own. Don't do that! Maintain your discipline and when the time comes when you want a relationship, find someone who has some discipline of their own and pushes you to do your best.

5. Forget commitment, flirting is fun

Enjoy the fun of being single and the ego boost of getting hit on, but leave it at that. Relationships come and go but your friends provide the best ego boost you can ask for, and they aren't going anywhere. They love you for who you truly are and that's what matters most!