Real Madrid Seeks to Retain La Liga Crown

2

Having just passed its midway point, La Liga, the Spanish professional soccer league, has enjoyed one of its most exciting campaigns so far in its illustrious history.

Traditionally dominated by the two giants, Real Madrid and FC Barcelona, Atletico Madrid took an early lead in the standings thanks to wins over the title contenders. As they have slightly declined in form and Real Madrid and Barcelona recover from injury problems, there is currently a tie at the top of the table with Barcelona only leading by goal differential. These next couple months should host a vicious fight for the Spanish crown and some outstanding soccer. Here are the title chances of the three favorites:

Atletico Madrid: Even after the departure of megastar striker Radamel Falcao to Monaco during the summer transfer window, “el rojiblanco” has been nothing short of excellent so far this season. Propelled by the goal scoring form of Diego Costa and David Villa and the sturdy goalkeeping of Thibault Courtois, it has been nearly impossible to beat this side, especially at their home stadium, The Vicente Calderon.

Atletico gained confidence early in the campaign after defeating city rival Real Madrid in “el derbi Madrileño” and tying Barcelona on their home turf. They have also run the table against the league’s smaller clubs until they suffered a draw against Sevilla at the Calderon. Manager Diego Simeone’s side have been nothing short of spectacular throughout the campaign, but it remains to be seen whether they can compete with the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona to win the league.

Odds of winning: 20%

FC Barcelona: The league’s defending champion and one of the sport’s most prestigious clubs, the Catalan giants can never be counted out of the title race. After falling behind Atletico Madrid, early in the season, the Blaugrana have slowly climbed their way back to the top of the table. The team performed admirably especially without the help of their all-world striker Lionel Messi who missed the better part of two months due to injury. Summer signing Neymar also missed significant time due to a hurt ankle. With quality at every position, Barcelona is hard to count out in the race, but I believe that their run at the top of the league is done.

Odds of winning: 30%

Real Madrid: Few will argue that there is a hotter team in the world than Carlo Ancelotti’s Real Madrid side. Lately, Cristiano Ronaldo and Los Blancos have been northing short of scintillating. After missing significant time due to injury, summer signing Gareth Bale has been nothing short of spectacular playing in a wide role and creating chances and scoring goals. Combining Bale’s excellence with Balon D’or winner Ronaldo and an in-form Karim Benzema has been unstoppable for any opponents, as Madrid has not been beaten in 14 straight Liga matches.

Another key factor for Ancelotti’s side has been the emergence of 20-year-old superstar Jesé Rodriguez who has already scored eight goals in limited playing time. Using his lightning quick pace, supreme finishing ability, and new burst of confidence Jesé looks like he will be one of the world’s best players.

Also running on all cylinders is Real Madrid’s defensive unit. Led by Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Dani Carvajal, Marcelo, and Xabi Alonso, the squad has only conceded three goals in the last seven league games. Ancelotti’s decision to play goalkeeper Diego Lopez in La Liga and Iker Casillas in the Champions League and Copa Del Rey has proved brilliant as both players have been dazzling. Everything looks bright for Real Madrid and it looks like the cup will return to its rightful site, El Estadio Santiago Bernabeau.

Odds of winning: 50%