5 Reasons Messi Should Be Everyone’s Hero

Messi empowers; motivates millions...let him inspire you too

4876

Leo Messi has been my role model, inspiration, and hero since I was little. Recently, Gatorade released a commercial featuring the footballer. The video titled “Don’t go down” showed exactly why Messi is regarded as one of the best players in history. His passion and sincerity for the game are only a few reasons why millions call him the best. Messi not only shows us why he should be our inspiration on the field, but off the field as well.

1. He overcame the odds

At an early age, Messi was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency. Despite his small stature, Messi dances around opponents bigger than him and always manages to find the back of the net. Currently, Messi has won the record number of the greatest player award, 5 FIFA ballon d’ors.

2. He’s humble

Recently his penalty kick assist to Suarez has gone viral, but that’s just how Messi plays. He finds joy in setting up his teammates and revels in the joy of team wins over individual wins. He even named his Barcelona teammate Luis Suarez as the world’s best striker. Messi’s personal life is also humbling, one of the many reasons why he is always pitted against Cristiano Ronaldo, who lives a lavish life in the public eye.

3. He’s loyal

Messi is loyal to his country, his club, but most importantly his family. He joined La Masia, Barcelona’s youth academy and has been playing for Barcelona ever since. But time and time again, Messi has said that raising the world cup for Argentina is his greatest wish. 2014’s world cup final and 2015 Copa America are examples that his efforts are not in vain. Outside of soccer, Messi has been with Antonella Roccuzzo since he was 20. They were childhood friends and currently have two little boys together.

4. He’s professional

Messi is known to play fair games. His record shows that, with only one red card so far in his career. Off the field, Messi is a better human. He established the Leo Messi Foundation and in 2010 he was made a UNICEF ambassador. He uses his star power for selfless reasons such as when the 2011 tsunami happened in Japan, Messi agreed to have his left foot cast in gold. It sold for over 3.6 million Euros, and the money was then donated to the Japanese tsunami relief fund.

5. He’s just like us

Messi may be a star player, but sometimes he is just a fan like all of us. Just like the time when he posted to his Instagram a Steph Curry jersey. Another time, we realized Messi hates mornings just like all of us when he was gifted grumpy pajamas by his teammate. But then again, this is the same person that went on a Japanese game show, was told to do something quite impossible, and proved to be an exception.