13 Ultimate Frisbee Sayings And Slang

13 Phrases And One-Liners All Ultimate Frisbee Players Say And Know

STAY. CHILLY.

6409

Ultimate frisbee comes with a culture of its own. From weird padded buckets to specialty gloves, there are some things about the sport that are unlike any other. With that, comes some sayings that are unique to the sport, and only to that sport. Here are my favorite things players say, and what they mean.

1. "Hey, can I get into my bucket?"

A popular item to have in ultimate is a bucket. The bucket is the same thing as a soccer bag. It holds cleats and discs. This bucket typically comes with a lid that is padded on the top. The only downside of having this bucket is that everyone sits on it on the sidelines, meaning you always have to ask to get into your bucket if you need anything.

2. "NOT A PULLER." 

Every point begins with a pull, or just someone throwing the disc as far and with as much air time as possible. When said person messes up the pull, everyone on the sidelines starts this little chant about, "what is he not?" A PULLER.

3. "Did anyone bring pickles?" 

For some weird reason, the food of the sport is pickles. Sure, bananas and bagels are provided, but who are you if you show up without pickles to a tournament? I have no true understanding to their nutritional value when it comes to playing the sport, but they taste great and always give some energy.

4. "I can't find my other friction glove." 

Friction gloves are special gloves made of rubber and clothe that can help players get a better grip on the disc. The problem is, they are super easy to lose, and once lost super hard to find. Also, everyone else almost has a pair as well that look identical to yours, so someone might end up with three gloves without realizing it.

5. "My disc is taco'd." 

"Taco'd" is another word for bent or warped. Just means the disc got left in the sun, stepped on, or landed on and no longer holds its original shape. Therefore it probably doesn't fly correctly.

6. "Did anyone bring a disc?" 

You would think everyone would have one when you show up to practice or a game, but nope, it is still something everyone struggles to bring with them. The most important item to the game, and everyone just assumes someone else will bring one.

7. "Shoulda laid out." 

Laying out is when we literally just throw our bodies into the air to catch the disc. It can look really cool, but can actually be really dangerous if your form is off. Players can get mad at themselves or others when they realize a disc could have been caught had they taken that extra "leap" of faith.

8. "BOOKENDS!" 

Bookends refers to when you are the player that forces the turnover, or "Ds the disc," and end up being the player to catch the disc in your end zone for a point in the same possession. It is quite a celebratory moment, to say the least.

9. "OMG they just sky'd them!" 

"Skying" is when a player jumps higher than the other player to catch a disc.

10. "Good game, _____." 

The Spirit of the Game in ultimate is incredibly important. After each game, no matter what level of the sport, the teams always huddle up and thank the other team for a good game. This follows the traditional "good game" line up every sports team does where they walk past each other and clap their hand.

11. "No around!" 

When marking a player in ultimate, it is so important the sideline talks to the person marking. Holding the force is critical, and chances are if someone is yelling "no around" at you, you aren't doing your job as a mark.

12. "CHILLY. Stay chilly!" 

Staying chilly means staying calm or level-headed in a game. Don't make rash decisions, and hold the disc for a few extra seconds before making that throw. It is a way of communicating to just think before you make any quick plays.

13. "Hammers win games!" 

Hammers are a type of throw that isn't always the most accurate, but they sure do look cool. They are always the best option in the last second of a stale count to just get rid of the disc and lob the disc into the air. Sometimes the results can be pretty cool. So, hammers do, in fact, win games.