Ravens vs. Steelers; A battle atop the AFC North. NFL Week 16 Predictions

Daniel and I preview and predict all the matchups in week 16 of the NFL

32
boogersview.wordpress.com

The holidays are upon us, and they bring a monumental slate of games in terms of playoff implications, and no byes. Saturday is the day for NFL games this weekend with 12. The network distribution of games has also been revamped, with NFL Network having 3 primetime games; one on Thursday, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday. Additionally, we finally have a lead in the standings: Eddie: 36-24 Daniel: 34-26

Note: The stats collected for this article can be found at: https://twitter.com/NFLResearch, and http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/

Thursday Night Football
New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles
Daniel: The Eagles come into the Christmas weekend eating coal instead of munching on candy canes and sugar plums, having caught L’s in the last nine of 11 games, but they haven’t gone out without a fight. They have put a scare on their opponents these past couple weeks, but can they scare away a red hot Santa-suit-colored Giants? Who are guaranteed a 10 win season that hasn’t been achieved since 2010. Eli Manning is going into this game with four straight games with less than 205 pass yards, and the G-men have not scored 20 plus points since week 12, however they have had a scrooge like defense that has been up to the challenge. The defense has allowed 14.9 points per game since week seven which ranks best in NFL. Corners Eli Apple, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Coty Sensabaugh will look to bait the rookie quarterback Carson Wentz into giving them a gift-wrapped football when the Eagles attempt to get the passing game going. They’ve scored only over 30 in just one game all season with Wentz having a 70.2 passer rating since week 6. Remember when the Eagles started hot?
Winner: Giants win in a close battle in the city of brotherly love.

Eddie: Sadly for the Eagles nobody remembers that impressive 3-0 start rookie QB Carson Wentz had. In fact, Wentz has had the second lowest passer rating registered since week 6 (70.2). This week Philly takes on a New York team that can smell the playoffs already, but will be looking to prove that its offense is more than a big play from WR Odell Beckham Jr. to win close, low scoring games. The Giants offense entered the season as the team’s supposed strength, having reloaded their offensive weapons through the draft with rookie RB Paul Perkins, and rookie WR Sterling Shepard. However, this bunch has disappointed fans and analysts alike, averaging 320.6 yards of total offense per game, ranked 27th in the league.
For the Eagles offense, the absence of WR Jordan Matthews might prove fatal. Matthews is questionable to play with an ankle injury and leads all Philadelphia pass catches with 71 receptions for 792 yards and 3 touchdowns. Add to this the fact that the offensive line has given 31 sacks, and they face an elite Giants defense; not a good outlook for the Eagles.
Winner: New York Giants.

Saturday Games
Atlanta Falcons @ Carolina Panthers
Daniel: In an intriguing battle in the NFC South, one team looks to get the crown of the division, while another is looking to be the ghost of Christmas past and play spoiler for a divisional rival. Can Matt Ryan continue to be as cold as Jack Frost even without his two main wide receiving threats in Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu? Or will the two headed monster of a running game for Atlanta continue to seal the deal? Pro Bowl nod Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman have combined for an average of 116.7 rush yards per game, which is eighth in the NFL. Matty Ice has a quarterback rating of 114.8, which leads the league. Some MVP consideration for Matty Ice should be in play, especially since Atlanta has an opportunity to have a 10 win season. On the defensive side, Vic Beasley Jr. who leads the league in sacks with 14.5 is able to put a rejuvenated Cam Newton who looked like his MVP form of last year on Monday Night. Cam and the Panthers are looking to build on their two game win streak, with the slight chance of making the playoffs.
Winner: Panthers give it all since they’ve got nothing to lose, Cam plays the role of Grinch at home.

Eddie: A frisky Panthers team showed that their winning ways from last year are still part of their DNA on Monday night, against a suspect Redskins team. But was that victory enough to upset a Falcons team that has scored a grand total of 83 points in its last two games? For the Falcons, the absence of WR Julio Jones has not stopped them from dismantling opposing defenses. It seems that every week a new player steps up for the Falcons offense; RB Devonta Freeman last week, and WR Taylor Gabriel the week before. This week Jones comes back as the leading NFL receiver, and will look to extend his lead in the way to a receiving yards title.
Winner: Atlanta Falcons on the road.

Miami Dolphins @ Buffalo Bills
Daniel: Playoff aspirations for head coach Adam Gase and his Dolphins team, while Rex Ryan and his team play together in an attempt to save his job. Buffalo still has a slim chance of making the playoffs with some help, and by winning out. Can they turn the corner and end the season on a high note like a star on top of Christmas tree? The Bills have four games this season with 200 plus yards per game, which is one of the reasons why they are the number one running team in the league. In Miami’s first winning season since 2008 they look to hold on to the wild card spot and see what damage they can do.
Winner: Buffalo they give Rex a Christmas present by having him finish the season strong and in turn keeping his job.

Eddie: After backup QB Matt Moore lit up a New York Jets team that seemed lost in their own home, Moore will look to repeat his performance against a divisional foe. If they get to an early lead before halftime, the game be over for Buffalo. The Dolphins are 9-0 when leading at halftime, and the Bills focus on running the football might be ineffective when playing from behind.
Winner: Miami Dolphins.

Washington Redskins @ Chicago Bears
Daniel: In the battle of quarterbacks we have Matt Barkley of the Bears, against Kirk Cousins of the Redskins. This game displays two different teams in limbo, the Bears who are starting to reveal they have a strong up and coming receiver ready to be the man, with Cameron Meredith, could be a changing of the guards in the offense in terms of wide receivers with Alshon Jeffery being sidelined. On the other hand, if Kirk struggles these last couple weeks what happens to his contract situation? Following the worst game of the season, head coach Jay Gruden chimed in by saying his quarterback didn’t see the field very well. But then again that whole 'Skins team was looking like angry elves on strike, with tight end Jordan Reed throwing hands with an injured shoulder that he spent all of last week recovering from. The bears are 0-3 when gaining at least 410 yards; if this game comes down to nothing but offense this could be interesting.
Winner: Chicago adds insult to injury.

Eddie: With 4360 passing yards QB Kirk Cousins has broken his own record for a season, which should be reason enough for Redskins owner, Daniel Snyder to lock him up in a lucrative contract. However, the Redskins need this game and the next, and the Giants or Packers to fall off a cliff in order to get in the playoffs. It is a difficult road for the Redskins, but it should start on Saturday with a victory over the Bears.
Winner: Washington Redskins.

New York Jets @ New England Patriots
Daniel: Can the Jets come into Brady land and come away with a Christmas miracle? New York will look to run the ball with the rush offense averaging 111.7 rush yards per game, which is eleventh in the league. The key to success and more blessings could be if the Jets can get more than 155 yards on the ground, having won three out of four games when they have accomplished this. But they face a Pats rush defense that is only allowing an average of 87.9 yards per game, which is third best in the league. The only team they allowed to go over that number is Buffalo in week eight. New England proved they can win on the ground and not relying solely on the MVP candidate Tom Brady, who was held touchdown-less in last week’s game against the Broncos. In that game LeGarrette Blount got his 15th rush touchdown which leads the NFL. Blount will look to continue this trend past the holiday season. The Jets on the other hand have only allowed eight rushing TDs which is fifth best in the NFL.
Winner: New England at home.

Eddie: One of the most lopsided matchups you’ll see this weekend, with the Jets resorting to 4 backup offensive linemen and QB Bryce Petty. This crippled offense will face a Patriots defense that ranks first in scoring, with 16.6 points per game allowed. Interestingly enough, the last time they led the league in this category, they won the Super Bowl in 2003.
Winner: Patriots keep rolling.

San Diego Chargers @ Cleveland Browns
Daniel: Let the tank continue for head coach Hue Jackson and company, in a game that will rely on Robert Griffin III to produce the first win of the season just in time for the loyal Cleveland fans for Christmas. If Griffin is not having a wonderful Christmas time keep an eye if Jackson pulls the trigger and lets Cody Kessler come in and play relief, hopefully getting the Browns their first win. Because next weekend’s opponent won’t let that happen.

Winner: San Diego, wins close.

Eddie: Hue Jackson’s stubborn ways of keeping RGIII on the field are going to cost him 0-16.
Winner: San Diego Superchargers.

Tennessee Titans @ Jacksonville Jaguars
Daniel: The 8-6 and playoff hungry Titans come into new coach Doug Marrone’s first game as interim head coach for this Jaguars club. The battle could be relied on two different aspects, the run game of the Titans, versus the decent run defense of the Jaguars; or could it be the battle of the quarterbacks. One is stepping into the quarterback of the future role, while the other is throwing out pick sixes as if he is Saint Nick handing out gifts to all the good boys and girls. Marcus Mariota comes into week 16 having 25 tds, 9 int, and a 96.7 passer rating, whereas Blake Bortles has 21 tds, 16 ints and 75.8 passer rating. The Titans average 144.7 rush yards per game, which is third best in the league, while the Jags rush defense allows on average a total of 110.8 rush yards per game which is 21st in the NFL. Look for Demarco Murray to continue to lead the rush attack with 1,224 rush yards, second best in the league as they continue to utilize Derrick Henry who has been gaining momentum the past couple of weeks.
Winner: Titans

Eddie: How many more statement games do the Titans need to win in order to gain the respect they deserve? They should be extremely confident in their chances of winning this game, however let us play devil’s advocate here for a moment. Doug Marrone might bring an offensive revolution with him, as interim coaches tend to do during the first week of action. The victim in this case being a terrible Tennessee secondary. It ranks 31st in the league against the pass, allowing for 274.9 yards per game through the air. Maybe, just maybe, Blake Bortles can play a great game and spoil the Titans’ playoff aspirations.
Winner: Tennessee Titans with a great collective performance.

Minnesota Vikings @ Green Bay Packers
Daniel: Aaron Rodgers has been as red hot as Rudolph’s nose these past couple of weeks dishing out 22 touchdown passes since week seven, 10 TDs with zero interceptions in five games. Rodgers has been has bright as the star leading the three wise men, can the Pack continue to look at that star as they inch closer and closer to narrowing the gap on the division with the Lions leading only slightly. The Vikings pass defense has been a problem for the opposition, only allowing opposing quarterbacks a QB rating of 79.8 which is the third best in the league. The battle of the game may not come down to the arm of Rodgers and his weapons, but it may come down to Ty Montgomery and Eric Kendricks. Ty Montgomery is averaging 6.5 yards per carry, and if he can get past Kendricks, who has 88 tackles on the season a big scoreboard might ensue. Sam Bradford will have his hands full with Julius Peppers who got a sack and forced fumble last week, he currently has four sacks in the last five games.
Winner: Green Bay Packers, Lambeau in December.

Eddie: A must win game for the Packers if they are looking to win the NFC North. On offense, the Packers will look to get a lot of help from their running backs. Free agent acquisition Christine Michael is the only running back in NFL history to score a touchdown on 40+yards runs for multiple teams. In theory Michael should get more carries, but judging by the coaching philosophy in Green Bay, he will need more time to learn the playbook and become a coaching favorite. On defense they will look to make RB Adrian Peterson’s life a living hell. This bunch is top 10 in fewest rushing yards allowed per game, with 96.1, and if they are able to nullify Minnesota's running game, they will have an easier time getting to QB Sam Bradford and that weak offensive line.
Winner: Green Bay Packers.

Indianapolis Colts @ Oakland Raiders
Daniel: A game that will host two of the best young QBs in league with Derek Carr and Andrew Luck. Luck's 97.1 QB rating has been showing an improved offensive line as of late, and he will look to continue to utilize his weapon of choice, Dwayne Allen. Allen was the main target last week against the Vikings, and playing out of a three tight end set has open the door for this Colts offense. Luck has had two or more TD passes in nine of the 13 games this season. He will be looking to add more yards to his stocking as he tests this Oakland secondary. Derek Carr has a 95.2 QB rating. The gunslinger, has 11 fourth quarter comebacks in the last two seasons, which is the most in the NFL, and he will look to solidify his case for the MVP award at home in front of the Black hole. Which QB has the better game?
Winner: Oakland, Carr looks to be Buddy the Elf and out-sling Luck in a high scoring affair.

Eddie: One of the biggest Pro Bowl snubs this season is Colts QB Andrew Luck. He has more passing yards than Pro bowler Ben Roethlisberger, more touchdowns, and fewer interceptions. Without mentioning Luck does not have pro bowl-caliber offensive linemen, running back or receivers-- with the exception of TY Hilton. Another element Luck lacks is a decent defense, and that is something the Oakland Raiders do have.
Winner: Oakland wins another game at home and has the chance to clinch a first round bye.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New Orleans Saints
Daniel: Can the Saints offense overcome the Bucs secondary with coverage busts? Drew Brees leads the league through the air with 423.3 yards per game, with the offense averaging 29 points per game. But Jameis Winston will look to have his team rebound from last week’s L against Dallas. "Famous" will look to keep his team in the playoff hunt.
Winner: Drew Brees at home plays the role of nutcracker.

Eddie: While last sunday’s loss to the Cowboys could be seen as a setback for some, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers can take some positives out of it. For instance, Jameis Winston had a videogame-like third quarter 8/11 for 147 pass yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, and a 154.4 passer rating. Additionally, Cameron Brate is developing into a great TE and red zone weapon for Winston. Brate is currently tied for most receiving touchdowns by a tight end, with seven. The Bucs offense might be a little too much for a lethargic Saints defense, even when they play at home.
Winner: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers get a win on the road.

San Francisco 49ers @ Los Angeles Rams
Daniel: Can San Francisco open the hole against a stingy Rams defense led by Aaron Donald and allow Carlos Hyde to get 1,000 yards for the season? Hyde needs 50 more to complete the achievement, and aclean smart game from QB Colin Kaepernick will benefit the team as long as they are able to hold the ball and don’t turn it over. On the other side of things, the Rams have scored 10 points or fewer in eight out of the 14 games. They will look to see if the Todd Gurley Show will have a holiday special since he hasn’t really had anything special this season. Gurley who is averaging 55.6 rush yards per game, could abuse the season of giving by getting over that mark and getting into the end zone against this Niners defense.
Winner: Rams, run game lay off the pressure on the rookie.

Eddie: The Rams are San Francisco’s only victim this season, and they host them this week. Both of these operations are already looking at the offseason and potentially coach hunt, and it would be beneficial for the 49ers to take an L here .
Winner: LA Rams.

Arizona Cardinals @ Seattle Seahawks
Daniel: In a game that had so much meaning before the season started now only matters for the Seahawks. While Russell Wilson is playing like if he is about to shoot his eye out with a red rider B.B. gun has been playing inaccurate ball. One week the offense looks like it has groove the next weeks almost throws a pick on the opponent’s one again. The Cardinals are 0-6 when allowing 26 plus points, Wilson is having a career high on average of 257.9 pass yards per game, but what will save this game from being a tie like the Sunday night showdown they had earlier in the season is because the hawks are home. They are 7-0 at home this season.
Side note, hope David Johnson has a big game... let’s go fantasy playoffs.
Winner: Seattle

Eddie: Arizona’s defense was touted as a top three defense before their last game against the Saints, and to say that was misleading would be an understatement. Drew Brees had a field day, throwing for 389 yards and four touchdowns, while WR Brandin Cooks had seven receptions, 186 yards and two touchdowns. Additionally, the Arizona D got ran on for 115 yards and two touchdowns. If this isn’t scary enough, they have to travel to Centurylink field, one of the hardest visits in the NFL.
Winner: The Seahawks remind the NFL why they are a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Saturday Night Football
Cincinnati Bengals @ Houston Texans
Daniel: Tom Savage, who came into last week’s game like a winter wonderland to much of the Texans fan base support, relieved the million-dollar-hustler quarterback Brock Osweiler, who has been playing like he’s on Santa’s naughty list. He hasn’t lived up to his contract. Young Savage stepped in late to help the Texans stay ahead in the division so close to the end of the season, by coming in and playing great, completing 260 yards passing. But Coach Bill O Brien will look to ease the pressure off Savage by allowing it to be Miller time for Christmas. Lamar Miller that is, who has 1,073 rush yards, ranks sixth in the league. He will be the key to ease off the pressure off the young QB. The Bengals allow 117.5 rush yards per game,-- 26th in the NFL-- whereas the Houston rush offense averages 122.5 rush yards per game, which is fifth best in the league.
Winner: Cincy

Eddie: Tom Savage is real! To hear the reaction from the stadium when high-priced free agent QB Brock Osweiler was benched… It was like the Texans had just won the Super Bowl. Savage led a couple scoring drives and showed a better understanding of the Texans offense than Osweiler ever showed.
On the other sideline Pro Bowl WR AJ Green, makes his return to the Cincy lineup this week. However, the Texans have a couple of great cornerbacks in Jonathan Joseph and AJ Bouye. Joseph has not allowed a touchdown in coverage in 12 games, and hasn’t been 100 percent due to a rib injury.
Winner: Houston continues to drive towards the NFL playoffs.

Sunday games
Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers
Daniel: A physical game with two divisional foes that don’t like each other will kick off the holiday. C.J. Mosley of the Ravens will look to be a scrooge on the running attack of the Steelers. Mosley has 72 tackles, one forced fumble, and three interceptions coming into this game, whereas the guy he is trying to stop has been running wild since week 11. Like Santa on Christmas eve delivering presents to all the good boys and girls, Le'Veon Bell averages 4.8 yards per carry, 1,146 rushing yards with six touchdowns on the season, and 713 of those rush yards since week 11. The every-down running back that can catch and run after yards after contact has proved the Steelers are just a way better team when they balance the run game with the offensive weapons that Big Ben has at his disposal.
Winner: Steelers

Eddie: In what could be the most prominent NFL Network exclusive game, it is a loser-goes-home match between two eternal rivals; the Ravens and the Steelers. Due to the nature of these matchups, muddy and defensive struggles, this game might come down to a small point difference. In the kicking game Chris Boswell made 6/6 field goals and imposed a new record for having five of those from outside the 40 yard range. For the Ravens, Justin Tucker has made 10/10 field goals of 50 plus yards.
Winner: The Baltimore Ravens approach the division crown with another win on the road.

Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs
Daniel: In an AFC West defensive showdown between the Broncos and the Chiefs that will feature the most intriguing matchup; can the Denver secondary prevail versus the Kansas City wide outs that look more formidable since the last overtime meeting? Pro bowlers Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr. represent the "no fly zone" with 12 combined pick sixes, and will look to force the action with Alex Smith throwing to his targets of Tyreek Hill and Jeremy Maclin. Tyreek Hill who has 10 total tds, one punt return, one kickoff return, two rushing, and six receptions will look to continue to be that offensive spark the Chiefs need. Maclin could be the nice compliment to stretch the field. The Denver team who lost control of its own fate last week will look to rebound... but will they at Arrowhead?
Winner: Kansas City takes a Mr. Hankey all over the Broncos playoff aspirations, (I really hope this doesn’t happen, just finally picking against my team).

Eddie: Stats seem to favor the Chiefs in this matchup. Kansas City has a 9-game winning streak against AFC West opponents, making it the longest active in the league against divisional foes. In coverage, Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Peters has only allowed a passer rating of 23.4 against the Broncos in the last three games, as well as only one touchdown and two picks.
I do not foresee the Chiefs dropping another divisional game this season.
Winner: Arrowhead Stadium is nothing to mess with. Kansas City wins at home.

Monday Night Football
Detroit Lions @ Dallas Cowboys
Daniel: The number 1 seeded Cowboys and the must-win Lions-- who are looking at the Pack in the rear view mirror of the sled for that division crown-- will look to continue this crazy season of theirs in D-town. Matthew Stafford, who is averaging a 95.8 QB rating, having thrown for 3,720 yards this season, with 22 touchdowns is back in the lone star state where he played high school ball. Could he look to recreate some of the magic in the spirit of the holidays? The only thing is that Stafford is 1-22 versus road teams to finish the year with a winning record. Dak Prescott, with 20 touchdowns, 3,418 yards per game, and a 103.2 qb rating, will look to continue his prime time success in going 4-1 in prime time games. Only thing is, will the Lions allow that record to get to five wins in primetime?

Winner: Detroit Lions come from behind.

Eddie: While other football writers continue to bet against, and doubt the Dallas Cowboys, America’s team will be resting easy after a nice Christmas knowing they will be the number one seed in the NFC. With rookie RB Ezekiel Elliott coming off the best rushing performance of his career, gathering 159 yards, and rookie QB Dak Prescott with a career high 88.9 completion percentage (36 attempts, 32 completed), the Dallas Cowboys seem unstoppable. However, there is another underrated storyline developing, and that is the titanic emergence of undrafted rookie free agent David Irving along the Dallas defensive line. During last Sunday night’s game against the Buccaneers, Irving had 5 quarterback hits, 2 sacks, 2 tackles, 2 tackles for a loss, and a pass deflection. If the defense can continue to develop in Dallas, AT&T Stadium could be the most feared destination this January.
Winner: The Cowboys continue their dominance on Monday Night Football.