Quit Body Shaming "Skinny" Girls

Quit Body Shaming "Skinny" Girls

" I always heard the constant questions on if I was anorexic, or bulimic. These comments are truly hurtful."

52
Quit Body Shaming "Skinny" Girls
Women's Cycling

For decades, social media has depicted women in many ways. You see it in magazines, television. etc., on how us women are "supposed to look." But there is no certain way we have to look. Everyone's body is different in every way. Nowadays, you see many "memes" or pictures that are body shaming skinnier women. How a man doesn't want to cuddle a stick, or that we need to eat a cheeseburger once in awhile. This is not OK. It gives young girls low self esteem, and can possibly seriously harm their mental health.

But in all seriousness, body shaming doesn't just happen to plus sized women anymore. It is super common among thinner women now. Especially since France has declared a law, that their models must have a certain BMI or weight. Being skinny is not a bad thing. A lot of women struggle with maintaining a healthy body weight due to many things such as birth control, menstrual cycles, pregnancies and much more.

Ever since I was in high school, I have heard multiple remarks on my size. I always heard the constant questions on if I was anorexic, or bulimic. These comments are truly hurtful. I have always felt uncomfortable in my own skin. All these girls around me were growing and maturing, but still I looked like a 12-year-old boy. I remember always being asked if I ever ate, which is ridiculous. If you truly know me you also know that I always want chicken nuggets.

Although being naturally skinny does have its perks, especially when it comes to food, it also has many cons. The main trouble we face is society, and they way they bash young girls. Society needs to start changing its views on women before this issue becomes more serious and causes problems such as mental disorders, eating disorders and even worse, suicide. It is time for the reputation of women and the way they are depicted, to start changing. And that starts with you.