Pronounceable Names Are Important

Pronounceable Names Are Important

Giving your child a name can make or break them.

60
Pronounceable Names Are Important
narratively.com

I used to be proud of my name, until I began to notice the looks substitute teachers would make when they got to my name on the attendance roster, or when a person would get frustrated because they couldn't remember my name. I used to think that it was good to stand out in that way, but soon lost that admiration for frustration. I can't recall the first time my name was mispronounced because it was always mispronounced. Since I was young, Remichia (pronounced Ruh-me-sha) quickly became Ruhmyka or Ruhmesha and, my favorite, Ruhmekeya.

Our names are a big part of identity; they provide a sense of self. Unfortunately, they can impact the outcome of our lives. From getting a job to getting the promotion, our names are an underlying factor. When I speak to my parents about why they chose my name at the time, they were thinking about what they liked, and not what would benefit me in the future. My father has admitted that he wishes he would have gave me a more socially acceptable name, like my brothers (Jamar and Justin). As a child, we may react to the wrong pronunciation of our names, until eventually it stops a child from wanting to speak up because of the lack of care for the mispronunciation of their name. It can cause insecurities and frustration for not having a name that's "easy" for others to read and say. As a current college student, I have become used to using my nickname when introducing myself, or excusing someone's mispronunciation before they even do it.

Unfortunately, it has been said the names that we have will be a factor in how a future school or employer views us, and whether or not we get the job or the promotion. Names like Kate, John, and Ashley are more likely to be picked than the Latishas, Jamals, and Quamishas. Celebrities like Beyoncé and Kim Kardashian have the freedom to name their kids Blue and North, but for the everyday individuals like us, we have to think more wisely. Our children have to work hard to make a way through their life, and their name helps pave that way. Walking around with a name that most don't understand and won't take the time to try to understand can be frustrating and daunting.

During that joyous time of bringing a life into this world, picking their name should be an investment into their future, an opportunity in itself for them. Rick Riordan said, "names have power." Remember that you hold the key to how much power your child will have.