Things People Without A Typical 'Boy Name' or 'Girl Name' Know To Be True

All names should be "unisex names."

46

There are tons of unisex names that are popular: Taylor, Alex, Bailey, etc. There are also numerous names that are used for both sexes, but they’re not seen as “unisex” yet. People are slowly becoming accustomed to the dual use of these names, but for the most part, in their minds they associate certain names with certain sexes. And that leaves those of us with these names in many awkward situations.

1. Communicating via email can be awkward.

Without seeing your face, people will often assume you’re the other gender and address you as such, often beginning an email using the wrong article.

2. Appointments usually accompany weird looks.

“What time was your appointment?”

“2:00!”

“2:00…?”

“Yes, 2:00.”

“Are you sure?”

3. Introducing yourself to someone is never without a hitch.

Being asked to repeat yourself, accompanied with a very confused face, is the norm.

4. You’ve probably thought about changing your name.

It would just be so much easier if my name were a “typical” boy/girl name.

5. You’re often asked why you have the name you do.

“Your parents must be very interesting. Is there a cool story behind it? Why did they name you that? Are you named after a famous ancestor? Is there any meaning to it?” No.

6. You get excited when you meet someone of your gender with your name.

I’m not the only one! Let’s be friends!

7. You feel awkward when you meet someone of the opposite gender with your name.

Nice to meet you… I guess…

8. You’ve had someone say to you, “I knew a [your name], but they were [your opposite gender].”

Oh. Okay. That’s nice.

9. You’ve heard a bad joke/pick-up line or two about your name before.

Hahaha, no. It’s a sensitive topic.

10. People are surprised when they see you.

“Oh, I thought you were a boy/girl.”

“Well. I’m not…”

What is someone supposed to say to that?

11. You’re extra sensitive to other unique or unisex names.

Their name is Mackenzie and I can’t find them on Facebook! Do I address the email Mr. or Ms.???

12. You’ve fought with your parents about it.

“Why did you name me this?! You don’t understand the struggle!”

13. All things considered, you’re happy your name makes you unique.

.

Yes, you have an “atypical” name, but that’s rare and awesome and you’re fierce.