Please Stop Smoking In Front Of Your Children

I am begging you, please stop.

100
moonproject.co.uk

I was out and about with my family last weekend and I couldn't help to notice the amount of people who were smoking cigarettes, especially around their children. I was shocked and upset that parents would subject their children to toxic chemicals at such a young age.

I do not know about you, but I find the scent of cigarette smoke to be absolutely repulsive. I understand that some people find that scent pleasurable because nicotine is addictive. I know that smoking cigarettes can relieve stress and all that but those who smoke in front of people who do not smoke are being incredibly selfish. By smoking, you are exposing people to toxic chemicals that will enter their body that they did not necessarily sign up for. The negative effects of secondhand smoke are real and subjecting people to that is not OK.

I choose not to smoke because I know that it is horrible for my body. It has been proven and is well known to cause lung cancer, pneumonia, and COPD just to name a few of its major effects. The Bolton Stop Smoking Service presented a great rundown of why smoking is bad for your health and it includes facts about what tar can do to your lungs. The booklet states that all of the chemicals that make up a cigarette are called tar. When inhaled, tar sticks to the cilia in our lungs, which is responsible for sweeping out the dirt and germs from our lungs. If our cilia do not work then this gunk stays in our lungs, which is what causes diseases.

I want to live a healthy life and not voluntarily put toxic chemicals in my body, so I do not need you to do that for me through secondhand smoke.

It honestly breaks my heart when I see parents smoke in front of their children. Are they not aware of what they are not only doing to their bodies but to their children's bodies as well? Children are still growing and exposing them to secondhand smoke is damaging their foundation for a healthy life. The world is hard enough already so why are you making it even harder for them? Children exposed to secondhand smoke are more likely to develop asthma or get ear infections, just to name two of the negative effects.

The world has come a long way in the education of cigarette smoke which is great; however, some people are still not educated on the topic. Could you imagine if we still lived in a world where smoking or drinking while pregnant was considered normal? Or in a world where you could be sitting at a restaurant with your family where people are smoking right next to you? It is amazing how far we have come.

It is so frustrating when people are educated on this topic yet choose to ignore the facts and research. A temporary "stress reliever" for you causes so much more harm for others.

This topic hits home because growing up my mom smoked cigarettes. I was never aware of it because she never smoked in the house or around the family at all. I am grateful that she did not subject us to secondhand smoke. The day I found out that my mom smoked I was so upset. As a little girl, I expressed my concern to my mom. I told her everything I was learning in school about how bad smoking was for her health. I told her that I did not want her to die because of smoking. I remember crying to my dad about it. I would bug my mom every day for her to stop. This went on for a few years until one day she said, "Okay, I will stop." She said she was so tired of hearing me complain that she decided to stop. I consider this a huge success because my mom has been smoke-free since that day (2007)!

The Bolton Stop Smoking Service presented this interesting fact that I believe is food for thought.

"People are starving all over the world. If the land used to grow tobacco was used to grow food instead, we could feed another 10 to 20 million people! What do you think is the better thing to grow? "

Think about that the next time you light up.

They best way to stop smoking is to never start. If you currently smoke, please stop. It's not cool for you, others, or the environment. I know this is way easier said than done but there are so many resources out there to help you quit. If those resources are not enough, just call me every day and I will bug you to stop for as long as you need me to.

For more information, please see here!