Why Everyone Should Visit Oklahoma City At Least Once

Fascinating history, great food, and great culture define this city well.

31

Many people have heard of Oklahoma City. Whether via our history classes or being aficionados of basketball, we know that Oklahoma City exists. However, do many of us know anything about it? Sure, people from the city do, but many outside of the city are not aware of the various unique activities, restaurants, and other things to do.

As someone born in the city but now far removed from it, I love to visit the city. There is so much one can do!

For one, there is an immense amount of history to study. You have the Oklahoma City National Memorial, a touching, cathartic tribute to those lost in the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Building in 1995. You also have the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, providing fascinating insights into the history of the "Wild, Wild West." You also have other state history commemorated in art, such as Bricktown, where there are massive sculptures paying tributes to the land rushes that helped create the state. There is so much more than just history, though.

Oklahoma City has an immense amount of great spots to explore and relax. The city, being one of the largest in the country by area, has a lot of nature to immerse yourself in. The Myriad Botanical Gardens provide you with multiple tiers of densely layered flora to enjoy and observe. There are multiple lakes, such as Lake Hefner, to enjoy your time at as well.

However, there is more than nature: you have great spots to explore, such as Paseo for shopping, arts, and architecture. Another great spot is Bricktown, where they have a great number of re-purposed buildings for restaurants, stores, and even a riverfront to wander down (yes, it is artificial, but it is still a good time!). You may even be able to catch an Oklahoma City Thunder or Dodger's game!

Speaking of restaurants, there are many throughout the city. Chains you will rarely see outside of Oklahoma, such as Braum's, Chelino's, and Taco Bueno (All of which are DELICIOUS) can be found throughout, but there are many others that are independent. The Bricktown Brewery, the immense number of seafood restaurants, and other independent spots that were created by the large number of migrants into the city. There is a varied foodie culture.

In conclusion, Oklahoma City is an underrated destination for myriad reasons. An eclectic foodie scene, culture, nature, and history to study make the journey to the capital of the Sooner State worth it. I'd recommend this journey to just about anyone! As a person born in the city, I take immense pride in my hometown, and I promote it everywhere I can.