SUNY Fredonia's 'Pink The Rink' Does It Again

You won't want to miss next year's game.

25
Blue Devs//Twitter

Saturday night, fans, students and faculty watched the Fredonia boy's hockey team turn the rink pink.

In Steele Hall on January 21, the 11th annual Pink the Rink charity game took place.

This year the event raised over $9,000 for the American Cancer Society of Western New York. Overall the total amount raised for the event is over $75,000. The crowd of nearly 800 paid between $7 and $2 for tickets which was put toward the donation.

The Blue Devils had a strong victory against Post University winning 15-1.

For each Pink the Rink match the Blue Devils have donated pink hockey jerseys and socks. The jerseys have the names of loved ones, groups, and others in their fight against all kinds of cancers.

I managed to talk to a few of the fans who were taking part in the game.

I first interviewed Jessica Kessler who was there with her sisters from her sorority she is a part of, Sigma Gamma Phi.

Jessica stated "I think that it is an incredible experience to watch the community come together to support and raise money for breast cancer."

It's safe to say that these kind of charity events really make an impact on the lives of others.

Another fan I interviewed was Daniel Luong who plays saxophone for the band. "It's great. I have played for this event before and it's always very exciting."

Overall the game was very exciting. If you're unable to attend the game there is also an option to watch online.

There were three total fights in the match and they were broken up quickly. The main fight was when Fredonia's goalie ended up being targeted and hit during the match.

Another interesting part of the match was when the puck flew into the stands and managed to hit a girl. She was not hurt badly and laughed about it after. She also got to keep the puck.

To keep the fans riled up staff were giving out free pizzas and shirts. It was a great way to make the game more enjoyable.

Overall the game was a great success and I'm sure next year's game is going to be even better.