Physical Touch Shouldn't Be Taboo
relationships

Physical Touch Shouldn't Be Taboo

Human touch is more important than you think.

91
Couple in black and white
https://pixabay.com/photos/black-and-white-people-couple-happy-2590810/

Human touch is the first language that we learn when we are born. Before words, before facial expressions. Before I became fluent in sarcasm, I became fluent in human touch. So why is touch so taboo in society today?

In my previous article 8 Simple Things That Make Life Worth Living, I mentioned how important snuggling is, but more importantly, human touch. In today's society, there are many forms of human touch that have assimilated into the connotation of dating if the touch is performed on someone of the opposite sex and or someone we are attracted to. A hug is seen as flirting, a kiss on the cheek is an invitation for sex and cuddling is seen as advance towards getting someone in bed later that night. Yet none of these always are being done with these connotations. There are times where I want to hug friends of mine because they completed a really hard paper and got a good grade, not because I have feelings for them. When my boyfriend is 900 miles away and I am in a low state, I want a hug or I want to cuddle with someone so my anxiety and depression will go away.

There are many other cultures and societies that have normalized these physical human expressions so that it does not secretly mean that I want to have sex with you or that I have some deep dark feelings for you. I like hugs and I feel that if someone wants to be cuddled it means that they might be having a hard time and I just want to provide support and love for that person so they can succeed. Personally, complements and oral reassurance do not always help me when I am depressed or needing reassurance; sometimes I need a hug or a snuggle or something along with that verbal assurance to help me.

For the future, I want physical touches such as hugs, snuggling, kisses on the cheek, and even holding hands to not be sexualized, fertilized, or connotated to an advance towards whomever I am with. Can these be thought of as cheating? Of course. But that is something to discuss with your partner, and something I will detail in a later article. Stay tuned.