8 Things To Make Life Worth Living

8 Simple Things That Make Life Worth Living

If you're looking for a sign, this is it.

103
Taylor Wreesman

I have found that there are certain things that are simple but make life worth living. Are you looking for a sign to stay here? Looking for something to ease the stress and the pain?

Check these out because I can tell you that these are just ten things. Ten things that do not include people, events, or places. These are ten things that you can do, things you can control when everything seems like it's spiraling down. Relaxation is hard to come by if you are constantly stressed, I know that for a fact. However, these are so easy to do that no extra stress is added, only relief.

Early mornings

I am the best example of not being an early morning person. Tired, grouchy and hungry is basically how I am in the morning. However, taking the time to get a good night's rest and getting up when the sun rises is honestly one of the most relaxing experiences. Personally, I forced myself this semester to have earlier classes and get up before most of the campus. Able to be seemingly the only one awake, the world is completely silent and calm. Despite coffee in my hand and the bags under my eyes, I really enjoy the cool early mornings where the world is asleep and I can watch the sunrise.

Good and healthy food

Good food and healthy food can be very different for some people. Personally, good food ranges from extremely healthy to extremely unhealthy. But since I've been trying to eat healthier while I'm here at college, those days where it's fruits and veggies and just a chicken sandwich are amazing. Food is something that is cultural and can mean a lot to someone. Additionally, comfort food is an actual thing and can help someone feel better and look forward towards the next meal which makes you look forward to staying here.

Laughing hard

Everyone has those fantastic times where you are curled in a ball, gripping your stomach because you are laughing so hard. When you can't breathe and your cheeks hurt from smiling, then when you finally calm down, you take one look at someone and burst out laughing again. Here's a secret-- no one cares what you're laughing about. You're laughing. You're having a good time and living life. There is the common phrase that laughter is the best medicine and honestly it can be. So I urge you to watch funny videos, do stupid stuff so you can look back and laugh. Laugh hard then laugh harder. No one is watching how you laugh or what sounds you make. Laugh and see the world get a little brighter.

Finding new places

When I left for college, I wanted to find new places. Find secret spots, beautiful pastures, and mountains. I wanted to lay by the river and listen to the water flow through the rocks. Even if you haven't moved away or traveled, explore. Hell, pretend like you've never been there and explore it again. I feel that finding new places can create new perspectives of the world around us even beyond the beauty of the world helps you find small things in life.

Then there is traveling. Whether you can afford to fly to exotic places or maybe you can drive a town over, travel. Take the time to go somewhere new and unknown and take a breath. Just one deep breath in a new place where there is no pressure and no obligations.

Snuggles

Since the day we are born, we need physical touch. Babies can actually "die" from a lack of touch. Touch can actually help with depression and anxiety because it creates the feeling of being safe. Now physical touch is something sexualized and or flirtatious in American society unless it's a high five, fist bump, and maybe a hug. Everything else is grouped into going towards sex and or dating.

So disregard all of that. Find someone you trust, love or maybe even a stranger, and ask them for a hug. Cuddle and snuggle up with a movie and blankets. Even if it's a pet, grab them and snuggle. Personally, dogs are the best for this but whatever floats your boat. Just being comfy and snuggling with someone you love.

The changing of seasons

Coming from someone who went from a seasonless area to a place where you get all four seasons to the extreme was at first disorientating. Nevertheless being able to experience the changing of the seasons was breathtaking and thought-provoking. Seasonal depression is a think, especially where winter can last into April, but spring is just around the corner and being able to see the little blossoms on the trees grow always ends up giving me a little light. Plus if you pair springtime with the early morning, it's an experience you won't forget.

Taking pride in what you create

We all create things, no matter what. Taking pride in those things, especially the things you wouldn't usually think to take pride in, is what you have to do. You're making dinner? Good job, I hope it tastes delicious. Maybe it's just taking pride in making your bed every morning. Start with something simple and then work your way up to creating large and important things. Make a messy art piece but take pride in it. Take pride in how you dressed yourself today even if it's just workout clothes or sweatpants. By taking pride in what you do and what you create, you can easily begin to feel better about your actions.

Finishing things

Sometimes if there is no due date on stuff, it is hard to finish things. Take the time to relish in what you've completed. If you find yourself struggling to finish your overarching tasks, start small. Start and finish laundry. Start and finish chores or taking a walk. Finish living out your life to the fullest.