Welcome To JMU's Orientation, Class of 2023!

Your first real day as a college student begins now.

204
Photo courtesy of Jessica Cary

By this time you're probably soaking up every bit of summer you have left before your life changes literally forever. The summer before college is a new level of weirdness, a transition phase, and a new season of life. On top of all of that and getting ready for the new school year is all part of summer orientation. Summer orientation is weird. For the first time, you recognize committing to college was all fun and games until you actually spend a full day on campus.

It's hot, it's humid, and it's sweaty, but don't let that intimidate you. Orientation won't be all fun. Think of it as your first day as a college student prepping you for your new life college life. Here's what to expect for summer orientation:

There's going to be a lot of info

You're going to be given a lot of papers and information that may or may not be important so just listen as much as possible. You will learn about school policies like the honor code, and complete modules on sexual assault and alcohol. In addition, you will go to advising sessions for different majors.

Meeting your fellow peers

Summer orientation is the first time you will be around other college students in person, instead of talking online. Try to connect with at least a few people that have the same interests. Seeing the same people you met on orientation day during the school year is uncertain, so don't set your expectations too high.

Navigating the campus

If you don't remember a lot from orientation, you definitely can remember all of the walking, and how to use a map to get from building to building on time. Knowing where the main buildings are, such as dining halls, student centers, the gym, libraries, and the football stadium is key. Also, don't feel bad if you don't know where everything is. There are seniors who still don't know where everything is and that's totally okay.

Go to Orientation with your roommate(s)

If possible, go to orientation with your roommate(s). This will be one of the first times you are with them in person and know how you will interact once school starts. Take pictures, and beam nothing but positivity as you enter this new experience together!

There will be lots of activities

There will probably be a session or club fair that advertises well-known organizations that you can join like sorority and fraternity life or student government. However, the full list of organizations if online so that is the best place to look to narrow down what is best for you!

Lastly, please please please have fun! There are not many days where college students have no studying to do, pause, and soak up what is around them. Every college student wishes they had a day, week, in the year to stop and get to know more people around them. Orientation is more special than you think(especially if you go to JMU where we have a whole week to know people aka FROG week!). Ask questions and take time to rediscover you. College is just the beginning of all the new possibilities!