College Orientation Brought Me Out Of My Comfort Zone

How Do I Feel Knowing I'm No Longer In A Bubble?

14

Being a freshman is really exciting. Meeting new people, experiencing new things, stepping out of your comfort zone, etc, etc. Not for me. I'm a very shy, laid-back, keep to my self kind of person. This past week I had the amazing opportunity to try a few of those things. From going on a scavenger hunt downtown, to partying on a boat. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed myself and made a few friends that will bring me a lifetime of happiness and weird laughter, but now that I have had that experience, there is no going back . There is no unseeing one of the orientation leaders hopping onto a table and rapping. There is no going back and not going to the Mother house for community service day and almost getting stung by a bee. I think this past week has not only brought us closer together, but it has created a few bonds that will never been broken.

It has given us the chance to make friends and be ourselves. It gave us a chance to not only try new things, but try uncooked sausage for the first time. I'm serious about that sausage though. I just believe that this week has also been an eye opener for me. Small groups not only had a chance to show us who we are as individuals, but that we all have something in common. That it is okay to be different.

I know that college can be a scary place and a scary thing. But it is a new chapter in your life that you should probably write. I never thought I would have the chance to laugh at all the pain I was in when I thought it was okay to "try" to flip over a chair. It isn't about the big moments, it is about the little moments. The times you spend with your friends, even if you did meet them like two days ago when you said you liked their hair. Or you both like the color blue and now you are thunder buddies for life. Orientation has taught me so many things that I can't even begin to put into words. But, the few words i can use would have to probably be "the most awkward, I-Stepped-Out-Of-My-Comfort-Zone, fun, loving time" ever.

No two people are alike, and that is what I learned. Also that it is OK to be afraid. It is OK to wanna cry because your mom dropped you off and you live like a whole state away, or more. It is OK to not be comfortable with speaking to people first. Because the next four years, you won't always be that way. Some times you are gonna jump so far out of your personal bubble you will not only surprise yourself, but everyone else too. You're gonna make friends and be social. But most importantly, you will never forget the week that brought you together. You will never forget how you bonded over not wanting Donald Trump to be president. Or the fact that flipping over chairs when you don't even know how to flip at all is not the smartest thing to do.

Our orientation leaders were amazing, and I sincerely thank them for the amazing week that we had, even if some of it was sitting and staring at people we didn't know awkwardly and the only thing we knew to ask was "What is your major?" But it was a way to get to know people and form friendships. And I am proud to say that I made a few fun, loving, outgoing friends. I'm glad I made that decision to come to Stritch. Class of 2020 is a great group of people, even if I can not remember any of your names.