An Open Letter To The Teacher That Changed My Life

To the teacher that never gave up on me.

38

Quoting G- Eazy here, "I know I should keep in better touch, but that door it never shuts."

Scalpel used to be one of my favourite words, Grey's Anatomy my obsession, and a career in surgery, my desire.

I remember coming to you one day exclaiming out of the blue that I had decided to be a surgeon after high school. I had been heart set on a marine biology degree for years up to that point. You still listened to me, you looked at schools with me, and you took me seriously. I was about a month into my senior year of high school when you asked me again why I wanted to be a surgeon, I told you it was because it was more stable than a job in marine biology.

That was when you changed my entire life. You asked me to close my eyes and you ran through a scenario with me. I was in a surgeon having completed a surgery and walking out of the OR to talk to the family. Afterward, you asked me to again close my eyes and gave another scenario. Except this time, you went through a scenario where I was observing a pod of whales’ migratory patterns on a boat. After you finished, you asked me what I saw myself enjoying more in life, and shocker, it wasn’t surgery. But, I think you knew that all along.

I can’t count the times I was in your classroom crying because of my GPA, ACT scores, undecided major, undecided school, etc. You always found the time to help me, above and beyond. You helped me get a tutor for math, you pulled me aside when I was crying in class, you helped me find schools along with applying to them, and you wrote me a letter of recommendation. You helped me keep calm in my most stressful year of high school.

If it wasn’t for you:

I probably wouldn’t be at the school I am at right now.

I would never have gotten a scholarship for my ACT scores.

I would not have pulled such a solid GPA senior year.

I would not be the major I am.

I would not have you as a life-long friend.

I would not be so outgoing and calm.

I would not be the strong person that I have become.

I remember calling you after I graduated, during school hours, and you had made a joke to me that college kids seem to forget so easily about high school. At the time, I didn’t understand the joke that well, but I do now. I know so many people that never think about their old school/roots and how they got here, but I do think back. I am so grateful that you chose to be on my team.

I appreciate the support you have always shown me, along with the patience. There is no way that I can thank you for everything you have ever done for me, but I want to at least introduce the tip of the iceberg. Thank you for not being upset with me when I don’t have time to talk for months at a time. Thank you for not being upset with me for never visiting. Thank you for having encouraged me to be more involved in school. Thank you for understanding when a teacher disrespected me. Thank you for letting me hide in your room during lunch when I was having a bad day. Thank you for helping me push out of my bubble. Thank you for coming to my graduation party. Thank you for never letting me give up. Thank you for always understanding. I was a certified mess and you will always deserve so much more than an article that not many people will read.

Nathan Harman, you will always be the most respected teacher in my life as well as a cherished friend, and I thank you for that.