An Open Letter About Exams

An Open Letter About Exams

The truth about how to take care of yourself during finals.

1339
An Open Letter About Exams
Olivia Higdon

Dear student,

I feel you. I completely understand the pain and emotions that you're experiencing. I know the stress of exams and relationships are putting so much pressure on you, and that sometimes you just want to lay down and sleep for an eternity. I know where you are, because I'm right there with you. Here are a few things to remember as you go through this troubling time as a college student.

1) Your mental health is more important than you make it out to be

Your mental health, anxiety, depression, whatever you're struggling with is so much more important than trying to finish a paper on time. Take care of yourself, please. You are so incredibly loved whether you believe that or not, and your family/friends/partners will understand if you're struggling, because you're still giving it your all.

2) Grades do not define you

At the end of the day, your grades are just a number. Whether it's deciding whether you get into a masters program, or just into a degree that you want, at the end of the day they are just numbers. I struggle with accepting my grades as they are sometimes, but letting myself fret too much is not helping.

3) Seek help if you need it

You are not weak for seeking help for your health, grades, or anything at all. Getting help is only going to benefit you, and during the time crunch of finals, it's good to get as much help as you can and need. Don't let the stress of finals be the cause of your downfall, and let yourself become stronger.

4) Don't fear or worry about what others think

Finals week is like hell on earth, honestly. Dress how you want. Study how you want. Do what you want to survive finals week, because no one feels or understands what you're going through as much as you do. Don't let yourself down, but don't be too forceful on yourself.

5) Take study breaks

Whether they're hours or minutes long, just take a break. Remind yourself that this is okay, and that exams are just exams. Take time for yourself, and time to relax during this stressful portion of our year in college. Remind yourself that it's okay, and that life will go on past this point whether we believe so or not.

6) Take time for yourself

Take time off during this hectic part of the year, especially to do things you enjoy doing. Don't study until you feel like you're going to explode. Make sure you take care of all your needs, whether they be mentally or physically. Make sure you're taking care of yourself in every sense possible.

I know where you are and I've been there so many times, too. Get help, make sure you're taking care of yourself, and try and push yourself through the roughest part of the semester.