Basketball Hall of Fame 2016: O'Neal, Iverson, Ming Headline Class

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame class of 2016.

38
via NBA.com

Few offseason events are more fun for NBA fans than the Hall of Fame induction ceremony. This year, we will see some of the most influential and important people in the sport be enshrined and memorialized in Springfield, MA. Shaquille O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Yao Ming, Jerry Reinsdorf, Sheryl Swoopes, and Tom Izzo will join postmortem inductees Zelmo Beatty, Darell Garretson, John McLendon, and Cumberland Posey this week. Each person brought something truly unique to the game that is worth reflecting and remembering.

Shaquille O'Neal

Career Length: 1992-2011
Career Stats: 23.7 points, 10.9 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 2.3 blocks per game
Accolades: 4 x NBA Champion, 3 x NBA Finals MVP, 2000 NBA MVP, 15 x All-Star, 8 x All-NBA First Team, 1993 Rookie of the Year

Few players in the history of the NBA have had a greater impact, both on and off the court, as Shaquille O'Neal did during his 19-year career. The former LSU Tiger entered the league in 1992 and never looked back, dominating just about every player and team in the league.

While with the Orlando Magic, Shaq broke onto the scene as not only one of the best young basketball players in the world, but also one of the most marketable people on the planet. Movies, commercials, a rap career, clothing and shoe lines; there isn't much Shaq didn't do during his career. Following a trade to the Los Angeles Lakers, he took the step from great player to superstar. Paired with Kobe Bryant and the bright lights of LA, Shaq became an international icon. Following a falling out with Kobe, Shaq was traded to Miami and was able to bring a ring to South Beach.

In his later years, he bounced from team to team but injury and age had gotten the best of him. In his retirement, Shaq has kept busy. Most know him now as the host of TNT's popular pregame show, but he has dabbled in everything from TV shows, movies, and even owning different businesses. Keep your eyes peeled for his second coming, because his son is already looking like an incredible player too.

Allen Iverson

Career Length: 1996-2010
Career Stats: 26.7 points, 3.7 rebounds, 6.2 assists, 2.2 steals per game
Career Accolades: 2001 NBA MVP, 11 x All-Star, 2 x All-Star MVP, 3 x All-NBA First Team, 3 x All-NBA Second Team, 1997 Rookie of the Year

If you look around today's NBA and wonder why things are the way they are, chances are it has something to do with Allen Iverson. Aside from being a once in a generation type talent on the court, the effects he had off the court were just as impactful. His street persona was embraced by the players and next generation, but rejected by management and fans of a "traditional" NBA.

He burst onto the scene as a rookie, famously going right at Michael Jordan and crossing him up. His knack for scoring was incredible, famously breaking Wilt Chamberlain's rookie scoring record for most consecutive 40-point games with three. In 2001, Iverson famously willed the Sixers all the way to finals. Before falling to Shaq, Kobe, and the eventual champion Lakers, Iverson beat the Indiana Pacers, Vince Carter and the Toronto Raptors, and the Milwaukee Bucks to get there. Following a frustrating few years, Iverson was eventually traded to the Denver Nuggets to pair up with Carmelo Anthony and hopefully get Denver over the Western Conference playoff hump, but unfortunately never went further than the first round. After that, he bounced from Detroit to Memphis before eventually re-joining the Sixers to end his career where it started.

Iverson's career was a polarizing one. Some remember him as a ball hog that is the reason there is a strict dress code for players, but more thankfully remember him as a supreme competitor that would do anything to win. There won't be another Allen Iverson in the NBA for a long, long time. It'll be a long time before someone effects the game, both on and off the court, like Bubba Chuck did.

Yao Ming

Career Length: 2002-2011
Career Stats: 19 points, 9.2 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.9 blocks per game
Career Accolades: 8 x All-Star, 2 x All-NBA Second Team, 3 x All-NBA Third Team, 2003 All-Rookie First Team

A lot of people turned their noses up at the Yao Ming selection, but if you grew up watching the NBA in the mid-2000's then this should come as no surprise. When Yao entered the league in 2002 as the first overall pick, many were skeptical if he was as good as everyone thought he was. Coming over from the CBA, Yao was in uncharted territory. Standing at 7'6" he dominated the game almost from day one, but unfortunately foot injuries cut his career short.

From 2002 to 2005, Yao was one of the best big men on the planet. Given his immense popularity in China, he was voted an All-Star starter as a rookie (something that hadn't happened since Grant Hill in 1995). He overcame a lot of doubters and haters, facing bullying from Shaq, Charles Barkley, and Kenny Smith; all of whom either admitted they were wrong or regret hassling him as much as they did.

Following the 2005 season, Yao was plagued by foot injuries. After missing only three games in his first three seasons, he missed extended time in almost every season before ultimately retiring in 2011. His accomplishments are not just in the NBA, as he was an incredible ambassador to the game in China and played a crucial role in the Chinese National Team. He called the 2008 games in Beijing one of the most important events in his life. Thanks to Yao, basketball in China has moved from a niche sport to one of the most popular games in the country and effectively made the NBA a global league.

Sheryl Swoopes

Career Length: 1997-2011
Career Stats: 15 points, 4.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 2 steals per game
Career Accolades: 6 x WNBA All-Star, 4 x WNBA Champion, 5 x All-WNBA First Team, 2 x All-WNBA Second Team, 3 x WNBA Defensive Player of the Year, 3 x WNBA Most Valuable Player, 2 x WNBA Scoring Champion, 3 x Olympic Gold Medalist

Arguably the greatest and most decorated WNBA player in history, Sheryl Swoopes had an incredible career. Following a record setting career at Texas Tech, Swoopes was a part of the inaugural WNBA class with the Houston Comets. She immediately got to her winning ways, as she carried the Comets all the way to the 1997 championship where she beat the New York Liberty.

Swoopes was the first major star in women's basketball. In addition to all she did on the court, she was a trailblazer off the court. She was the first woman to have her own signature shoe with Nike (Air Swoopes) and served as an inspiration to young girls everywhere. In addition to all she did for women in basketball, she is also considered a pillar in the LGBT community after coming out in 2005. She was one of the first major athletes to do so publicly. Her inauguration is a long time coming, she has done more for women's basketball than almost any other player.

Other Inductees

Jerry Reinsdorf

Owner - Chicago Bulls (1984-present)

Tom Izzo

Coach - Michigan State (1983-present)

Zelmo Beatty

Player - St. Louis/Atlanta Hawks, Utah Stars, Los Angeles Lakers (1962-1975)

Derell Garretson

Referee (1967-1998)

John McLendon

Coach - Considered pioneer in African American coaching (1941-1969)

Cumberland Posey

Hall of Fame baseball player - Considered best basketball player of early 1900's, formed Monticello Athletic Association team and the Loendi Big Five, two of the greatest teams in the Black Fives era through the mid-1920's. He quit basketball to focus on baseball. (early 1900's-1920's)