Watch The Serbian Rowing Team Freak Out After Capsizing In A Cesspool Of Raw Sewage

It's only 1.7 million times more contaminated than acceptable levels in the US or Europe.

15
BusinessInsider

To put this in perspective, around 169 million gallons of human waste flow into Guanabara Bay on a daily basis. Don't worry everyone; it's just drug-resistant super bacteria. Watching the Serbian team [below] panic as their dreams capsize in a murky lagoon of poo and antibiotic immune viruses, makes a person wonder how responsible adults thought hosting water sports in Rio De Janeiro was a superb idea. It almost makes you want to see how long you can close your eyes and hold your breath— while trying not to drown. Qualifying for the 2016 Olympic team is an opportunity of a lifetime, and so is rowing a tiny little boat, in a human-waste-driven cesspool of waterborne pathogens.

The Serbian duo, Milos Vasic, and Nenad Benik, are not the only ones who have, and will again, face the gauntlet of floating illnesses. Of the 40 rowers on the US team who did trial runs last year, 13 of them came down with some type of gastrointestinal virus or illness. Problematically, simply getting just a few teaspoons of the water in your mouth could lead to potentially life-threatening illnesses such as meningitis and brain swelling, Luckily, due to the already rough water conditions, the Serbian team will be given an opportunity to take a "mulligan".

Rowers aren't the only athletes facing traumatic conditions— the world-class athlete pool includes open-water swimmers, full team rowers, sailors, and triathletes. For these athletes, any open cut or scrape could cause significantly detrimental issues for their health including staph, strep, and antibiotic-resistant staph skin infections.

Isn't it depressing that we subject the most magnificent athletes in the known universe, to literally, the shittiest conditions known to man? It makes a rational person wonder about who the true gatekeepers are in making the selection of Olympic destinations when nearly every city in the world with viable resources is fighting for the rare opportunity. It's hard to say what the catalyst has been for issues related to humans relieving themselves in past Olympic seasons. In Sochi, it was the double toilets — or being locked in the bathroom impeding a quick post dump getaway. In Beijing, it was the fear instilled by the fright of the squatting toilet.

The world is truly dark, and full of terrors.